Likely my last season. I believe I'm getting out.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BadRancher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

I believe this will be my last year in the biz. Overall it was a great year, but I ran across many problems (mostly truck). I was just hell making sure all customers were taken care of. I lost several customers due to these problems. I hate to give up, but I can't handle another year of this. Both my vehicles were down, problem after problem. A new vehicle is not the answer for me. This is my part time job, I hate to let it go and I am not 100% sure yet.

Anyways I was wondering if you guys could help me value my equipment I have in my sig. The Metro is about 1.5 years old, the Turftracer is a year old. The handhelds except for pole saw and chain saw are 1.5- 2years old. The pole saw and Chain saw are about a year old with very little use.

Thanks in advance!
  2. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

Not much help in the value-ing department but hate to hear about the run of bad luck.
  3. BadRancher

Yea, It sucks. I just seems like everything that could possibly happen, happened. I went through my two trucks, then a loaner truck that also tore up on me. I was like something is yelling at me "GET OUT"!

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

BadRancher best of Luck to you my friend. I also lost a truck this year. Sure made life hard. But I did have the money for a replacement set aside. My business is also down. I'm lucky to have some work now. But that is passing by soon. One must look toward the future for answers. This life is not easy.

Thank You BadRancher For Being There When I Called. I'll pass your info around. Sure hope I can help.

5. BadRancher

Thanks man. I appreciate it.
  6. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

I hear you. I had to do an engine AND tranny in my truck before I could even think of starting my business...(P I T A) interested in that turf tracer and any blowers you have, especially redmax.
  7. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you said a new truck is not an option but a new truck is cheaper than fixing an old one, either way you look at it you have a truck payment so it might as well be on a new truck. And it will give you many more years of reliability.
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Pics would help us to give you a better ballpark on value. I can tell you, you will lose a load of $$$$$ on most of that stuff, the worst depreciation is in the first year or two. You may be able to minimize the loss a bit by selling the whole gig, equipments and accounts together.
  9. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of truck are you having problems with?
  10. BadRancher

Not really if you think about it. 50,000 miles on a 1/2 ton pulling a loaded heavy duty trailor around all the time is the equivalent of putting on 75000-100000 on an everyday driver. You wear them out too fast to keep around after they are paid for. I prefer the older paid for trucks. But I do see your point. A 3/4 ton is too far out of my range and thats what I have already.