Lil advice from the mulcher guys! Yellowdog, Arp etc...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Apr 13, 2013.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I had to laugh when I read your signature.. never tried that!

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I ran a Fecon tracked Mulcher for two years on a clearing contract. It was the 140HP model. In very/heavy thick brush with scattered small trees, the best I ever did was 3 acres/day. I was bustin butt to get that. That was about 6-7 hours of actual mulching time/day. Don't plan on getting a lot of acres done/day in thick conditions with that machine. In LIGHT conditions, you might get 5 or 6 acres/day tops.
    Expect a lot of service time and downtime. Those mulcher heads are high maintenance. You will also throw a track now and then on that T300 in brush, and blow several hydraulic lines on a frequent basis. I used a T300 with a grapple bucket for cleanup behind the mulcher and with heavy hydraulic use, they like to blow lines. Tracks on the T300 hate little leftover stumps and when a track comes off, you can be looking at 2-3 hours to get it back on. They always come off at the worst possible place.
    Also, you will go through fuel like you can't believe. I suspect 3gph will be the average when mulching.
    What I am saying is, do not price this cheap, go as high as you can and still get the job, hopefully. Fuel and maint costs are going to be high, and I doubt if the rental place will want to pay for the weekly hose replacement when you snag a hose on brush.
    FYI: Companies that are in the business of land clearing full time, always send a fully stocked service truck out with the mulcher machine, every day. The mulcher operator is half operator, half mechanic.

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I heard from a salesman that the t320 went thru a tank of fuel every 4-5 hours when mulching. Is this true?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It would not surprise me at all. The 140HP Fecon used 5.5 gph. The T300 I ran went through 3.5gph when equipped with a heavy duty brush mower.

5. Country Club Lawnscapes

Country Club Lawnscapes LawnSite Member

How much does he want for that t300

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

You can get about 5 hours. maybe 5.5 with the 23 gallon tank running wide open.

I can go longer with an M series 750 but it's got a slightly bigger fuel tank. I think it is more efficient, however, on fuel use. The worst was my s300. It was 4 hours to fill up BUT that's by the gauge. There is still some fuel left in the tank (5-6 gallons) when gauge shows empty.

If you have hand controls and can dial down the speed, don't strain the machine, and keep the throttle set in one spot, the fuel consumption goes down but these machines are also running A/C and the newer ones are running hydraulic fans that take hp too.

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the insight fellas. working on the proposal now.

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

added up my cost for fuel, rental etc.. came in at $8400 for the 5.6acre tract. or $1500/Acre.

Wish me luck.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

How dense is it? COuld most of it be done with a bush hog?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

This job is a good opportunity for you. I'd talk to the owner and see if he had a budget in mind. That would be almost 100 grand to clear all 60 acres. That's a good payday lol
    Posted via Mobile Device