Limb pickup after storm, absorb cost or loose rest of clients?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Sep 27, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I went to the doc the morning (was closed do to Jeanne) I decided to go around and survey the damage in my yards. What a nightmare!! Covered in limbs from small to 30 feet long. Three weeks ago I had to hire a helper for 4 days to clean up after Francis. One customer gave me $10, one sent me check minus the cleanup fee (she is history) one owes me 345 and has not paid yet, and the rest I barely got enough to pay my helper much less me. If I charge extra I might as well be ready to close up shop or absorb it because it aint gonna happen here, and I refuse to absorb it this time. Clients can pick the dam things up theirselves before I do it for free. Anyone else encountered this problem? I am writing up an estimate on every single yard before I even touch them and they will be signed!

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sounds like a smart business plan to me.

Mac

3. QualityLawnCare4u

Mac, I might get burned once but never twice! There will be NO cleanup without signed agreement up front.

Danny

4. QualityLawnCare4u

loose= lose, man my spelling stinks.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Danny, best of luck to you. I believe this is an extra expense that you should not have to absorb but your customers should. You are going about this in the correct manner. Unless your contract states mow, edge, blow and pick up yard debris I think the customer has to pay.

Gravely_Man

6. olderthandirt

from here

Danny tell your customers to check with there ins. co. they may have coverage for some of the clean up. If they do then it won't cost them any extra, might want to add it to the bottom of the estimates. And charge extra if you have to wait to get paid by the ins. co.

Mac

7. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

All of my contract have a storm clause. I give them a price per hour for clean up above the normal everyday. Here it is quot ( Mayor damage due to high winds, ice, snow, or other unpredictable acts of nature are not included. Major damage cleanup will be estimated separately.)

8. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW Mac, I forgot to add these clients are all my friends! :p

9. olderthandirt

from here

Well any friend of your is a friend of mine so if you need help with any of them call me :drinkup:

Mac

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have 1 customer that is fairly new and has 14 huge oaks in the back yard. Everytime that we get there to mow there are limbs big a small everywhere. Well the first 3 times we cut we picked them up and placed them on a pile the owners alreday had started and did not charge any extra because I wanted to try and keep this acct to get into this subdivision as we have no other lawns there but it is right on our Thursday route. The last time I left I nice note saying that this was the last time that we could pick up limbs for free. Well Thursday they are everywhere again...so we cut around them this time and left them there.