1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lime and starter fert ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scaglawnsnj, Oct 3, 2007.

1. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I am aerating and seeding my lawn this week. I did a soil test and figure, I need to lime the lawn. Know, Can I lime and put starter fert at the same time?
    I was going to use granules not liquid. I figured i'd go light on the starter fert and 4lbs every 1000sqr on lime.
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Before you put down any lime, get a proper soil test and admend the soil with the suggested amount.
  3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Just for reference. it is usually recommended that lime not be applied at the same time as a high P fertilizer. I dont always follow that recommendation because of the practicality issues, but thats what the books say.
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

It will cause a chemical lock-up of certain minerals plants digest.
  5. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

I always lime and starter at the same time with no problems I have naturally acidic soil around here however
  6. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I read somewhere that this only happens on alakline soil (which wouldn't need lime anyway). Have you seen this?

Plus, in my opinion 4#/M of lime is a waste of time.