lime application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Schlepie, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

how is the best way to apply lime. What is the best kind or is there just one kind? I saw hydrated lime at Home Depot , is this ok to use.

Thanks

Schlep

2. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Test your soil first! Most soils out west are alkaline because of the lack of rainfall. Don't put lime down if your soil has a pH greater than 6.6! Remeber that turf (and most ornamentals) prefer a slightly acidic soil (pH of 6.6 - 6.8). Good luck.

jim

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Listen to lawnstudent,you may not need lime.buy it from a co-op,if your soil needs it.heck,you can spread a pick-up truck load with a corn scoop in no time.i'm sure their is more proper ways,but those little push/pull fert/seed spreaders arn't the answer.;)

4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Hydrated lime will not work, that is for making mortar!

If your applying lime to a home lawn,use a pelletized limestone. It spreads easily and is not dusty and works into the soil easily. It costs about $1.50 for a 50# bag.

Soil test for baseline pH.
    Apply correct amount o bring pH to optimum.
    I apply7#s per m as a maintenance rate to counter act the acidity of the fertilizers I apply.