1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lime Application

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CT John, Sep 4, 2003.

1. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Received my soil test results and planned on aerating and overseeding this weekend. The test results indicated a pH of 5.8. A little on the acidic side. I am planning on applying some lime and was wondering if I should wait to seed, wait to lime or if it matters at all whether or not I seed shortly after applying lime. I was under the impression that it really doesn't matter, but wanted to get some confirmation here. Thanks.
  2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

like you have heard, it doesnt matter. I did a lawn renovation and was told to put down lime also. good luck.
  3. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Thanks man.
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

If your going to do at the same time

At least use granular lime

With PH in those numbers I would at least lime water it in for a week then seed.
  5. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Did use the granular type. Thanks GLAN.
  6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Lime will actulay take about 6 months before the full affects have taken place. Granular lime.
  7. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Yes, i've heard that. Thats why I wanted to get it started asap. Thanks.
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

That's really not bad at all. Not really. Normal around these parts are 5.3 to 5.8.
  9. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

True. Not all that bad, but not ideal either. I'd like to get it into the mid 6's. Put down approx. 40 lbs/1000 of granular dolimitic limestone this past weekend. Will put down another 20 per in the spring and have the soil tested again next fall. Any other thoughts? Anything you'd do differently?
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Steer clear of sulfur coated fertilizers in the future.