1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lime application ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stuttering Stan, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting ready to areate and overseed accounts in a few weeks. If i put down lime now, will it help the seeding. Lime is also extra profit but will it really affect the seeding without a PH test, basicallly will it hurt the new seed?
  2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Must have soil test to determine lime needs!
  3. soil test will tell you what soil ph is, and the nutrient levels, and other things depending on what you request!

Most soil test will give recommendations to correct soil chemistry.

Quanity of material need to change ( raise or lower) ph will be effected by soil type!

Have two different liming material, calicitic, or dolamitic, which one you use depends on base saturation of ca and mg!

most liming materials take several months before they have any effect on soil ph!

depending on the nitrogen you use, their can be a loss of n if you apply lime with nitrogen!

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

To answer your actual question - No the lime will not hurt the seed. We usually do our lime in mid summer - between spring liquid apps and the heavy fall ferts (just before seeding). The other posts are right about getting the soil test. You can do that any time of year, but try to get the results back before you lime.... some soils may not need any lime and others might need a super heavy rate to help correct the ph. We are in the same area and I would say 90% of my lawns need lime. Are you using any starter fert when aeriating / seeding?