Lime Disease

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CL&T, Aug 5, 2013.

1. metalsmythe

metalsmythe LawnSite Member

Ticks are a *****. I have never gotten one here in the city but I go out to my dad's place every few weeks and do some trimming and bush hogging on about 50 acres and get them all the time. I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever the middle of last summer. I was sick with severe headaches and joint pain and a fever that would come and go about every hour, it was the sickest I have ever been. I had it for two weeks before I couldn't take the headaches any more, head felt like it was going to explode 24 hours a day and then a rash started popping up all over me but more around my torso and neck. Went to a clinic hear and as soon as I told them what I felt like and they saw the rash their first question was do I ever get any ticks. They did some blood tests and came back positive for Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever, gave me a heavy dose of antibiotics I had to take for 30 days and some codeine laced something for headaches. I fought with that stuff for almost 2 months before I felt half normal again. It was nasty but they say they don't think you can get it again once you have had it. Hopefully I can avoid the Lyme disease also.

2. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

If Lyme is caught in the beginning the disease is reversible It takes month of being infected for it to leaves life long effects.

3. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

That's right but like has been said a tick bite doesn't always result in a rash or bullseye. Any symptoms can be blamed on other things. So in cases like that treatment often gets delayed. The longer you wait the more difficult it is to treat and the more damage it does.

4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

5. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Yeah they can. I had a friend that got bitten by a brown recluse. She lost a good portion of her thigh muscle. Her health spiraled down from there. Bitten at age 46, dead at 52. We buried her this year.

6. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok. Ticks suck. Question: When should you seek treatment for a tick? If I went in for med care with every tick bite, I'd be in the poor house.

7. CL&T

If you work in any of the states where lyme is prevalent, you had the possibility of being exposed and if you show any of the symptoms seek medical help ASAP. The #1 is a rash, especially a bulls eye. Even if you don't see a rash and you have fatigue, chills, fever, headache, muscle and joint aches, and swollen lymph nodes tell your doctor you want to be checked for lyme. IMO it's better to err on the side of caution and start a course of antibiotics than waiting and scratching their asses like some doctors do.

8. kwwolfe

kwwolfe LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with the above. I had it a few years ago and my son (now 9) had it a year later. I found the tick. On him, we saw the bullseyes (yes more that one can come from one bite).

I felt like I got hit by a truck. Baaaad body aches and eventually flu symptoms. Gladly, the doctor started me right awat on 30 antibiotics and to date I have no long lasting effects.

The important thing to note is that once you have it, you will always test positive for it. That is what I will remind my doctor of should I ever need to again.

9. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Lyme disease is rare. Your fooling yourself if you thinks ticks are only in grass clippings. You could be mowing & one jumps on you from a tree or crawls into your truck or equipment. Leave your house window open, he climbs in & eats while your asleep:nono:

http://www.aldf.com/Misinformation_about_Lyme_Disease.shtml

Does Lyme disease occur in every State in the continental United States?

Note that no Ixodes scapularis or I. pacificus ticks are found in some States, and that there are several States in which I. scapularis or I. pacificus have been reported, but host-seeking nymphs -- the major transmitters of Lyme disease -- are extremely low as well as the prevalence of infection. Since Lyme disease is not a sexually transmitted disease and is transmitted to humans only by infected Ixodes ticks (see preceding articles in this section), it is not surprising that most (>95%) reported cases of Lyme disease occur in those States (the Northeastern and Upper Mid-Central States) where host-seeking nymphal I. scapularis ticks are abundant.

Ixodes ticks are not found in the Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming. Consequently, it is reasonable for residents of those States with non-specific symptoms often associated with Lyme disease in the absence of positive serological tests conducted by validated standard procedures and possible exposure to Ixodes ticks from visits to endemic areasto consider other possibilities to explain their symptoms.

10. CL&T

Doesn't look very rare if you look at the statistics map I gave the link for above and that is only for one year (2011). And from that map you can also see the states that have the prevalence of cases and where you don't have to worry.

Nobody said they were. In the examples I gave these were cuttings from shrubs.

What I'm trying to point out here is that if you are in this industry your chances of exposure if you work in a high risk part of the country is considerable. It's simple to be smart and realize the danger and take some precautions to help minimize exposure. But if you want to bury your head in the sand that's fine too.