Lime & Fert Application Before Fall Clean Up

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 32vld, Oct 17, 2013.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Question is when is it to close to put down lime and fert before you do a clean up?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Fert was done before leaves started to fall and I'll get the lime down right after a cleanup, so it get washed in before my next cleanup... I try to clear the ground every 10-14 days to prevent grass suffocation... :)

3. 32vld

I do weekly clean ups for 5 weeks. I start about the 1st week of Nov. Finish first week Dec.

4. Smallaxe

You can lime in Dec...

5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

When a soil test determines you need lime or other soil amendments. How much lime do you put down if you don't know where your PH is to start with.

6. 32vld

The soil test tells the PH level.

7. Smallaxe

Mscotrid,,, In Centro Wisco, lime,, is never going to be a 'bad thing'... it may be an unnecessary thing but soil around here always test <7.0 pH...

In the N. Ill. areas lime is never used and the very mention of it send h.o.s reeling, because the soils around them are always too high above 7.0pH and more lime will be detrimental to healthy growth of anything...

I'm not sure if there are areas where you live that 1 lawn might be >7.0 pH, then another lawn in the same general area would have a pH that is too far below 7.0,, requiring Lime to aid in better growth,,, but that would be a good thing to check out from local agriculture...

People got in the habit of doing lime around here becuz farmers were pushing alfalfa and lime is needed for better alfalfa,,, but not required for good grass... potatoes like a more acid soil than 7.0 and do great with just a bit of NPK...

Anyways,,, if you are struggling with pH questions, then test some soils and learn what is happening in your neighborhood... :)

8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I guess my statement was more centered on the results of the soil test. How much lime would you need if your guessing at the PH?

9. Smallaxe

Is the a reason to suspect a low pH??? it is very possible that your 'lime app' is a complete waste of money and time for the client...
    I had a client that wanted me to put down lime every fall before the leaves came down... eventually I just stopped doing it and nothing changed at all... :)

10. 32vld

Based on the PH reading from the soil test. Based on the SF of the land. You then have to put down so many lbs of lime to raise the PH. I do not remember how to do the calculations.

Though the soil test should recommend how many pounds of lime needs to be added per 1,000 SF.

Now so places out west have the opposite and the PH is to high and they add sulfur to lower the PH.