1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lime for dog stains?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tryz, Mar 18, 2002.

1. tryz

tryz LawnSite Member

I have done a search on this subject and found nothing. What are the effects of applying lime to dog urine spots? One of my customers has 3 dogs and their pooper scooper company told them to regularly apply lime to their whole lawn to help nutralize the urine. Will this help repair the exsisting spots or prevent new ones from occuring? Also how often and how much lime should be applied wtihout hurting the lawn?
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

3. tryz

tryz LawnSite Member

Thanks BRL for pointing out that previous thread but I have already read it and I have already visited all the web sites mentioned there, they mention nothing about applying lime to the urine spots.
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

wondering about this also because im about to be getting about 4 bags of lime from a customer for free and have two dogs
  5. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

It is not the acid in the urine that hurts the grass. It is the nitrogen. There is nothng you can apply that will fix this except water and time. Reseed the areas and wait. Good luck.

There is nothing about lime because it doesn't work! Lime is not the answer.
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

what is lime good for then?
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It is the salt content that "burns" the lawn.

Lime increases soil pH and adds calcium.
  8. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

;) Do You Really Want To Know Where To Put The Lime??? ;)
  9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it's the ammonia in female dog urine that burns it, male dog urine does not contain near as much hence less burning
  10. Commander

Commander Banned

Actually Vipermanz, the reason you only get injury to turf from female dogs is because of where male dogs prefer to do their business. As far as a solution to female dog injury, just carry a lot of water around when you walk the dog outside. Flush the area immediatley with a good amount of water and you will have no problems.