Lime: Most to put down?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Branchland, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I had some soil samples done last fall on a few of my properties. On one of the yards it said it needs 65 lbs per 1000 sq ft. Can you put too much down at once and do more harm than good?

2. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard people say that they've gotten away with it, but you really shouldn't put down more than 40-50 lbs per thousand at a time....why not do it as 2 apps?? Not only is it better for the soil, you get to charge for 2 apps.

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Penn State says you can do 90# per M in a single application using pelletized limestone. More than that do a split app.

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Phil,

Were did you get that info? I'm not saying your wrong, I've just never seen any info coming out of PSU recommending more than 50 pounds/M in a single app on turf.

If you read the back of a soil teat report from PSU it states if more than 50 pounds/M is recommended, do it in split apps.

Also, I find it hard for most people to justify the cost of more than 50 #/M. Why not go with 40 to 50 this year and do another app next year.

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I will do up to 55lbs per 1000 but thats it. Any more is a split spring fall application.

6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

7. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Phil,

You were right, I just read the back page again.

My apoligies.