lime? no lime? i want lime!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 6, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how come people put down lime when they put down sod? we never have. started a sod job this morning, unloaded the sod, customer came out and said where is the lime? i said, what lime? he says, u r supposed to put down lime. i say, no u arent. whats up with that?????

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

awww...lime, the customer cure all for everything. I abosultely hate it!

3. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Actually I think, in my area anyway, lime is greatly under used. Just about every lawn that I test has a low ph. I just got one back 4.8!!!!

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Lime is some nasty stuff to mess with. Ugh.

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

hey Bobbygedd,
    I think what he meant was that he wanted a sack of limes knocked over his head, maybe knock some sense into him. :angry:

Don't you love customers who know more about your business then you do (sarcasm meter high here)

He probably heard it from someone, who read it somewhere, when they watched a tv program on cable.

The soil test is the answer, maybe just explain a little on ph to him, and explain what the lime can do.

Hopefully, he'll be thankful for the lesson, and it will reflect good on you.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i explained to him that in 8 years, i have never lost a single piece of side. i also explained that the $1400 is due when the job is done. my man should be done by 4 pm

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Adverage new lawn site in my area calls for 100+ lbs lime per k sqft. I feel like the fram filter saleman, pay me now or pay me later. I wont seed anything without lime.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you do a soil test to see if it needed lime or ?. Come on Bobby you been in business 8 years and you don't do soil tests?

Is this another one of your jobs where you don't give the customer something in writing.

I think you need to hire me as a lawn care consultant so I can quit mowing and make my money off you.

:D :D :D

9. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I spread 43,000lbs on one job this week.
    Beats spreading manure and I think alot of it gets spread on here.:pumpkin:

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

LawnDog- what did you lime? Norfolk?
    At 50lbs per 1K you are looking at 860K sq/ft.
    I think it would take you a week to do it solo which I'm sure at this point you are not solo.

Bobby- drive em up to the police station.