1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lime, PH ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Any thoughts on correcting PH with lime or other methods. Calcium carbonate vs. dolomitic? Organic guys/gals what are your thoughts?

2. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

We try and get most of our customers to take a soil test. If the ph is 6.5 we apply lime. If the pH is 7.5 then we apply sulfur. For soil conditioning we also apply gypsum and compost. The soil around here is natuarally alkiline from the glaciers.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Which type of lime is determined by calcium/magnesium ratio in soil test.

4. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

I thought a pH of 6.5 - 7 is where you want to be?

Reason I ask is because I had a thread on pH here last spring on my pH was 6.5 and everyone told me that was great don't do anything.

5. Young Bros

6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

ArTurf,
    Any time that the state does a soil test for us, the results all come back with the same mumbo-jumbo. Use XX amount of dolomitic limestone. Calcium/Magnesium blend.

7. kirk1701

So is sulfur what you put down to reduce the pH?

I made a small bo bo and we'll, should had done something different in this area to start with but I now have honeysuckles (acidic plant) and Holly (Also acidic) planted along my fence line. What I did wrong was also plant grass (Alkaline) right up to the fence hence you now see the bo bo. I'm fixing to correct that this summer so I want to make the soil there acidic.

Same here, I've actually got to the point I know what my lawn needs without tests. Last time I got soil samples was last June, was told to put Nitrogen down :hammerhead:

8. Young Bros

Sulfur lowers pH

9. kirk1701

10. Young Bros

I got 40 or 50 lb bags from our suppliers. I found on the internet this site:

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/F087.html

Half of my suppliers say gypsum does not change pH and the other half says it does...so I dont know. They all said sulfur will lower and lime will rasie your pH. We put HydroSave from NatraTurf on as many lawns as we can, they also have spot gone for pets (same product smaller bag and sgn):

http://www.natraturf.com/index.cfm

If you look on there they talk about soil samples too. Its best to be taking annual samples, at least untill you get it between 6-7.5.