1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lime Pricing???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 2menandamower, Nov 2, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that I need to put 1800lbs of line on. The soil sample shows a pH of 4.8 (no wonder the seed has not done anything). The soil test shows a recomendation of 150lbs per 1000SF. I get the pelitized lime in 40lb bags. that will be 45 bags to put out. Is 8.50 per bag a good price to charge to put it out? That would include my cost of 4.10 per bag. Does sound about right???? I am going to put out half now and then the other half in February.... What do you guys think???
  2. TurfBoy08

TurfBoy08 LawnSite Member

How big is the Yard.....That seems like a heavy application of lime (150lbs per 1000 sq. ft) .... but if thats what the test shows then..
  3. GrasshopperLC

GrasshopperLC LawnSite Member

150 # per 1000 sq ft would be about 3 ton per acre, which is a little above normal. the average is about 2 ton per acre. i usually charge about 20% over cost for the product and then a flat fee of 60.00 in a half acre or less lawn.
  4. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I think I am going to do half now and then half in February so I don't burn anything. The yard is 12,000SF Thanks guys.
  5. BHS

BHS LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Excellent straight forward article BHS, but....Why not put down the application called for? I have to admit, I've never seen a soil sample as low as 4.8. Yes, that is a lot of lime but that's one wicked acidic soil there, too. Besides exceeding 7.0 causing an alkaline condition, does putting that much lime at one time cause any other problems?

Getting back to your question, 2men. A little over 100% over your cost seems fair to me. That's about what I'd charge although I don't think I've ever done just a "lime job". Now if only I could get pelletized limestone in bulk instead of those little 40 lb. bags....:dizzy:
  7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

The recommendation is meant to be incorporated into the soil to a depth of 6-7 inches. If you are not going to be tilling the lime into the soil to that depth, then you need to reduce the rate by 15% for every inch you donot incorporate it into the soil. If you are broadcasting the lime then just put down 15%-30%of 150lbs or no more than 45lbs per 1000 sqft, and do three applications 6 months apart. What does your soil test say is the base saturation for Calcium and Magnesium. These are the numbers you should be trying to raise with your lime and not the pH. If you get the Ca and Mg saturation levels correct, your ph will come in line also.
  8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

what mudd said.

but I wouldn't think you would have to wait 6 months between apps. I would say 3 to 4 months.

There is a neighborhood not too far from me where a few lawns have a pH below 3! A few state experts recommended 50 lbs. of lime per 1000 sq. ft. every 30 days!
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the schooling guys. Mudd, would recommend the entire 150 lbs./1000 sq. ft. if it can be tilled into the soil? Thanks
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Lilmarv. lime takes a long time to work its way down into the osil, even tho it can become available to plants in just a few days. On established lawns you can get away with a lot more than you can on a newly seeded area because the roots are below the soils surface, but you can still get to much lime right at the root zone and cause nutrient tieup of other essential elements. Areation will help the lime get below the surface, and since you usually dont areate more than twice a year, why not just put the lime down when you are doing your areations.

the state experts aint that smart. If they are trying to raise the ph , they should be soil testing and see what is causing the low ph and add the missing elements to correct the problem, not just throw lime at it every month. Magnesium has 1.6 time a ph raising effect that the calcium form the lime will have. Potassium will also raise ph faster than lime.

lawnspecialties, If you are tilling the soil 6 inche deep you can add the full lime recomendation. If you will be tilling more than 6 inches deep you can and should increase the recommendation by the same 15% per inch you go over 6 inches. When you are first prepping a lawn for seeding you are at the best time to correct the soil. Use a soil test and add all your K/P. and even your N, as well as any missing micro nutrients, like sulfur, Iron, manganese, boron. Till it all in and do a follow up soil test the next year to correct any imbalances you still might have. Different soil types have a different appetite for certain elements and some of what you add will become locked up and unavailable to the plants, so even tho you added everything the soil test said, you might still have a few deficiencies the next year. If you mulch mow the lawn, you will find that your fertilizer requirements will go down drasticly.