Lime Pricing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 2menandamower, Nov 2, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Thought I would post this here too...........

I have a lawn that I need to put 1800lbs of line on. The soil sample shows a pH of 4.8 (no wonder the seed has not done anything). The soil test shows a recomendation of 150lbs per 1000SF. I get the pelitized lime in 40lb bags. that will be 45 bags to put out. Is 8.50 per bag a good price to charge to put it out? That would include my cost of 4.10 per bag. Does sound about right???? I am going to put out half now and then the other half in February.... What do you guys think???
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that is pretty a good price, for you and the customer. My calculations from yoru info says that this is about a 12,000sq ft lawn. You have 45 bags at your cost of 4.10 a bag. Application at 8.50 per bag. This being done in two applications, will profit you about $100 per application. It cannot take more than 1 hour to do the app on a 12,000sq ft lawn. So i would say that you covered your labor for application and your time to pick up and deliver the material.
  3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say it is a very GOOD price for the customer! That is a LOT of bags.... aftger about 6 of them I am huffing and puffing (Im only 23!) I dont think $100 for the App. is worth it.. I believe you should be getting about $200-250 profit for the job.. again you went (Im assuming) and had a soil test done so you care enough to do the job right... dont short yourself.. that is a lot of work.. believe me...

Also.. remember your loading and unloading of 45 Bags of lime!! Lot of work!
  4. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Are you putting down all 150# per 1000sq' at once? This is way to much, 50# is the max that can be absorbed at a time I would recommend this be done over three applications, I'm suprised the soil test doesn't say that. Anyway, do your self a favor and don't get pellitized lime, see if you can find a Hi-cal lime like Solu-Cal. These 50# bags will cover 5000sq'! The price is about 3-4 times a bag of regular lime but the coverage is 5 times as much. I found this last fall about a week after we did 110 bags of pellitized!
  5. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Sorry, you are looking for pricing, if you are doing 12k my pricing is $115 for this size
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I can buy a 50lb bag for $2.50 a bag so charging $8.50 a bag seems kinda high unless that includes spreading it.