1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lime Pricing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 2menandamower, Nov 2, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Thought I would post this here too...........

I have a lawn that I need to put 1800lbs of line on. The soil sample shows a pH of 4.8 (no wonder the seed has not done anything). The soil test shows a recomendation of 150lbs per 1000SF. I get the pelitized lime in 40lb bags. that will be 45 bags to put out. Is 8.50 per bag a good price to charge to put it out? That would include my cost of 4.10 per bag. Does sound about right???? I am going to put out half now and then the other half in February.... What do you guys think???

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that is pretty a good price, for you and the customer. My calculations from yoru info says that this is about a 12,000sq ft lawn. You have 45 bags at your cost of 4.10 a bag. Application at 8.50 per bag. This being done in two applications, will profit you about $100 per application. It cannot take more than 1 hour to do the app on a 12,000sq ft lawn. So i would say that you covered your labor for application and your time to pick up and deliver the material.

3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say it is a very GOOD price for the customer! That is a LOT of bags.... aftger about 6 of them I am huffing and puffing (Im only 23!) I dont think $100 for the App. is worth it.. I believe you should be getting about $200-250 profit for the job.. again you went (Im assuming) and had a soil test done so you care enough to do the job right... dont short yourself.. that is a lot of work.. believe me...

Also.. remember your loading and unloading of 45 Bags of lime!! Lot of work!

4. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Are you putting down all 150# per 1000sq' at once? This is way to much, 50# is the max that can be absorbed at a time I would recommend this be done over three applications, I'm suprised the soil test doesn't say that. Anyway, do your self a favor and don't get pellitized lime, see if you can find a Hi-cal lime like Solu-Cal. These 50# bags will cover 5000sq'! The price is about 3-4 times a bag of regular lime but the coverage is 5 times as much. I found this last fall about a week after we did 110 bags of pellitized!

5. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Sorry, you are looking for pricing, if you are doing 12k my pricing is $115 for this size

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I can buy a 50lb bag for $2.50 a bag so charging $8.50 a bag seems kinda high unless that includes spreading it.