1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lime question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Mar 24, 2003.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Not sure if this should be posted here, but...

Adding a top dressing organic fert. (leaf grow/Ecology) and then over-seeding. Can I put down lime at the same time without hurting the new grass seed?

Thank for all of your help!
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

In normal circumstances - I woulnd't seed and lime at the same time. So, No.
    The purpose of lime is to correct pH problems among other things - and soil should be in a more neutral position ro assure better results. Additionally, dependent upon the type of lime applied, it tends to be hydrophilic and that could potentially slow seed germination.
  3. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

WOW a queston about lawn care!!! and not who has the best equipment:D
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You can but that is not a good thing to do. Since you want the best for your customers do not try and combine these two different steps.

5. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Why not do them at the same time?

Could I Aerate, lime, topsoil/leaf grow, and then seed?
  6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

wow,I never new it was bad to put down lime when you over seed!!!I learn somthing new every day:) thanks lawnsite
  7. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

If i was you i would take a PH level test to see where the soil is at. The scale goes from 1-14 if it is 7 your in good shape. Adding lime will raise the PH level so if it is low put some on. If it is to high put on some sulfure this will lower it to the right lever. I dont know if you can put it on at the same time with the seed or not. Hopefully this helps.

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't realize the lime would actually slow germination, but that makes sense.Learn something new every day! Usually we do all of our pelletized lime applications in November or December because it takes several months for the lime to correct soil ph. So applying it now wouldn't have an effect for several months anyway. A soil test would be a good idea to give you a starting point. Mike
  9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

SWD hit the nail on the head;everyone in my area shoots lime out without even taking a soil sample.It amazes me that people who live with acidic based soil automatically think you should lime every year without first checking out if it is needed in the first place let alone how many pounds per thousand.