1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lime & seed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stslawncare, Oct 11, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

ok guys another question to add. got a customer who had me apply scots weed n feed. it took care of most weeds but not all. they want lawn aerated and overseeded, also lime put down, but yet they want the weeds gone too. will overseeding and treating the current grass "choke" the weeds?
  2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

cash the check!!!!
  3. stslawncare

from DE

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

How long ago did you w&f??
    Read the label, it will let you know how long you should wait to seed, otherwise the herbicide will inhibit the seed from germinating as well as it should.

5. stslawncare

from DE

w&f was done over 3 months ago, actually beginning of the season to be exact. i guess i should rephase my question.....

will aerating overseeding etc take care of the weeds? should i just wait to take care of the weeds and do all that stuff now?? should i put down w&f and forget about aerating etc??????

thanks for your help.
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have time to get the turf going in Delaware with time left over to control weeds IF YOU CAN GET 3 CUTS BEFORE THE WEEDS STOP GROWING.

Keep the N up during that time & you might pull it off. As far as I know, Snow Mold isn't a huge concern on home lawns in Delaware. So keep the N up during the grow-in.

Worry about weed control next year if you miss it this year. Then you won't be wasting time trying to germinate seed nexy spring while Crabgrass is redirecting your course of action.

You need to make the calls on this client. If they continue to steer, neither of you will get where you want to go.

Get control of the client & the turf.

And there is no need to manage this lawn like a putting green. Because that's not what it is. Plant the seed, push it up to height, and satisfy the customer.

If they want to do it themselves, maybe your better off letting them.

Please take a look at my similar comment in the thread about dormant seeding.

7. stslawncare

from DE

great, so ill go ahead and aerate and seed, i wont put down any starter fert. ill put some lime down with the seed (slow release) and ill fert about a month or so after i seed. in the spring ill worry about the weeds. sound good? also how many pounds of lime should i put down??? ph levels are around 6.4