1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lime setting for Lesco 80

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhodester, May 13, 2003.

1. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

The bags of pellitized lime say use "J" setting on a Lesco for 20 pounds per thousand. My rotary Lesco 80 has setting numbers, not letters.
    Anyone know the correct number for 20 pounds per thousand?

2. turf78

turf78 LawnSite Member

J is the same as 21 on the calibration gauge that came with the spreader from Lesco. The gauge is very important as over time 2 spreaders set on the same setting can have 2 different readings on the calibration gauge.
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use up to 50 Lbs. per thousand.
  4. Rhodester

Turf 78 thanks.
    However, upon reading the bag again, it says "N" for 20 pounds per k, not "J". "S" for 40 per k. Product is "Correct" brand pelletized dolomitic lime.
    Would you still recomend a 21 setting on the Lesco 80 for applying at 20 per k?
    I have the guages to make sure it's calibrated.

Thanks again,

5. LawnMagic1

LawnMagic1 LawnSite Member

Why don't you just calibrate your spreader?
  6. Rhodester

No boxes, no vials and no scale.
    But mostly, no time...(at least when it's daylight)

7. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

My spreader has the alpha settings. There may have been a conversion chart for alpha to numeric, if so I've not seen a copy. I use the calibration gauge for numeric label settings and make sure the spreader is calibrated (10 on the gauge=D) for alpha settings.
  8. Rhodester

Lesco 80 with side deflector spread exactly 20 lbs per k (240 lbs) pelletized lime on 12k, using #21 on the calibration guage.
    Also spread exactly 4 lbs. fert. per k using #15.
    Actual settings on the indicator were both about 2 numbers less.

Thanks all,

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Call me a bad boy, but on lime applications, I get enough lime to cover the property with the correct amount, then I open my Lesco spreader settings all the way open and go with it.

You have to have some experience as to how fast or slow you'll have to walk, but it's always worked for me. It's not like you'll burn if you put to much down somewhere.