1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lime spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrh, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mrh

mrh LawnSite Member

What is the best way to spread ag-lime? My soil test recommends 2 ton of lime. Buying the pelletize lime will get expensive $300.00 vs $28.00. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I pay $2.00 per 40lb bag of pellitized lime.50 bags X 40lbs = 2000 lbs=1 ton=$100
  3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Thats still $200 vs $28.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search for Gandy or Seed Easy drop spreaders. They make several sizes that can be towed behind riding mowers. They aint cheap, I gave $700 for mine, but they are a lot better than the ones found at HomeDepot.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

When you say $28.00 for lime, is this for a truck to spread it? . I have used the farm service to spread lime for me because of the price difference but you have to be careful not to create ruts in the yard and be very careful of the septic tank and drainfield.
  6. mrh

mrh LawnSite Member

That is just for the lime. They can't use the truck because of septic tank and field lines as you have stated. The local co-op suggested throwing it around with a shovel, but I'm worried that will not be uniform.
  7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Spreading ag-grade lime may not be your best approach. Did the soil test suggest a certain amount per 1000 sq. ft. or per acre? You may even look at applying a product I've used called Solu-cal. While certainly not cheap at $15-18/ 50 lb bag you would use about 1/4 of the amount of dolimitized lime and the results are far,far faster. It would also be helpful to tell us what size lawn you have. Applying that much ag-grade lime on a lawn less than 20,000 sq. ft. may require several "split-apps" to keep it from looking like a early snow.
  8. 50lbs/m is max at any one time. wait 3-4 months between applications!

did they recommend calicitic or dolomitic lime?

2000 lbs of powder lime wouldn't be fun to spread, in fact I won't spread 40 lbs!

consider the solu- cal
  9. mrh

mrh LawnSite Member

My yard is about 38,000 sq.ft. The co-op that did my soil test said the was 2 ton per acre. I also just reseeding using 150lb. tall fescue. They also recommended use 150lb. 12-24-24 fertilizer in two applications that will result in a total of 36-72-72. This was the results from a soil test.
  10. mrh

mrh LawnSite Member

I really don't know, all I know this it was ag-lime. Would it take as much pellitized lime as it would with ag-lime? I will consider this other product you are talking about. Thank for the help!