Lime

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by big_country, Mar 22, 2005.

1. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

I have a few quick questions for you guys. First of all when is it the best time to put lime on a lawn, this time of the year or any time, before a rain or does it matter? Also what is the best weed and feed type of fertilizer, any particular brands work the best? Are you suppose to apply later in the spring when weeds are present?
    Thanks

2. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

whenever you feel like it

:dizzy: ;)

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

That would be................When your licenced!

4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

dont apply lime unless you need it. you can do more harm tha good. soil test!!!!

5. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

BIG Country:
    To answer your question, lime can be applied pretty much at any time. It is most commonly done in the fall mainly because spring is simply too busy. Before you do any liming be sure to do a soil test to get an accurate PH (acidity) reading. You may be surprised to find a high PH and a need for sulfur as opposed to lime.
    As far as weed & feeds, the best granular weed & feeds are put on elite size granulars. They are the smallest that are made. For best control with granular weed & feed it needs to stick to the weed, thus the smaller particles have the best chance. Some W&F can work through the roots as well. As far as brands, try Scott's or Lesco. The best time is usually around mid May when weeds are most active. You may need to do applications throughout the season based on weed populations and the presence of summer annuals.
    Hope that helps!

6. big_country

Thanks for the advise.

7. big_country

It's not for commercial use, not into to that part, but anyhow the way I take it you don't have to be licensed to apply fertilizer just other chemicals like pesticides. I might be wrong though but it doesn't affect me either way, somebody might want to clear that up for me.

8. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

I'm sure different states have their own requirements, but in NY you need a license to apply any pesticide "for hire". Fertilizer you do not need a license.
    A pesticide is anything that controls. (cide=kill) If you are not licensed, I would encourage you to take the necessary steps. It is the "right way" to do it. Plus, the customers will be happier with no pests.

9. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

This would require a license.

10. A soil test will tell you if you need sulfer, dolomitic lime, calicitic lime, or maybe nothing for the ph! Will also tell you how much to apply!