1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SJR Lawncare, Oct 29, 2001.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have a customer who has asked me to apply lime to his lawn at the rate of 100lbs per 1,000 sq feet. his lawn is 16,000sq feet, this means i have to truck over almost a TON of lime.

is this a reasonable amount without a soil test? i usually put lime down at 20lbs/Kwithout a soil test.
    any suggestions on either how much to put down OR what to tell this customer(either he's right or he's totally off base)? i just don't want to "overlime" the lawn and screw it up....
  2. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

down here where im at with this soil they say it doesnt matter how much lime you use.thats the way i was tought but they say we need about at least a ton per acre. i have limed some yards heavy just to see what happens(note that these are my kin folks yards) and it didnt hurt it at all. if anything it helped the more the better as far im concerned thats just my opinion( afterall i have not had bad luck with it yet)
  3. I have got my lab sheet here and it says not to apply more than 50Lbs per M per application. If you do need to apply 100Lbs spread it out over several apps. What kind of sand are you working with? According to what I have here you would be neutralizing a clayey soil with a Ph of somewhere around 5.0 - 4.9 If your soil is loamy you would have a soil Ph of somewhere around 2 or 3. For sandy soils you would have a negative Ph for that much lime. I advise against putting down that much lime seeing as how it will ruin the lawn.
  4. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

The county extension office can test your soil for you to be sure. Last year mine called for 120 lbs. per K. I applied half last year and half this year. :)
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hello neighbor.

Hope you don't mind me askin'... How much do you charge for applying lime? Is there a formular? Is it the same as a fert app.?

Let me know.
  6. Actually, SJR, that would be 1600#, just a little over 3/4 ton.
    I'm sure you knew that :D math:angry:

100# per K is the high end of "reasonable". The risk is that too much too fast can kill off the good microbial life in the soil.

See if you can educate the customer into two applications as the others have suggested. If not, you're probably okay.:cool:
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use pulverised lime spread in a Gandy drop spreader with the dial set at 50 and I end up with about 50lbs per 1500 sq.ft., twice a year with no ill effects. On the bag it is stated that " if " moss is present then use 50 lbs per 1000 sq.ft.. It takes a lot of lime to keep moss from growing. Also, there are other conditions that encourage moss growth such as low hanging tree limbs, poor air flow.
    I charge by the hour to spread plus markup for handleing. The adverage 8,000 to 10,000 sq.ft. lawn runs around $60.00.

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I just received a soil test back from North Carolina State and it recommends 65lbs lime per 1000sg ft. However it also states that you should never apply more than 50lbs at a time in a six month period. That much lime at one time is detrimental to healthy grass production and can leads to serious deterioration of the turf. I would do a soil and acidity test first.
  9. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

just to make a clarification on something. when i said a ton an acre, i meant over a one year period whether it was 2 times or split in 4 spreadings.however u wanna calculate it. anyhow i have not had no bad effects but i havent had nothing that needed that much either.so far all my grass is grren and healthy which i think is the most important thing. healthy

10. Diesel

Diesel LawnSite Member

I just had my farm limed this year. We put down approx. 4 tons/acre. We had a soil test done to set the application rates. Liming helps with root growth as well as making soil nutrients more readily available for plant uptake - ie. reducing fertilizer requirements.