Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little country, Apr 8, 2003.

1. little country

little country LawnSite Member

Hello, men
    I hv a 10 acre lawn and the Dr. wants me to put dwn Lime.I hv never limed a yrd.How do you do this and can I do this while the yard is wet,its raining here now.I hv an agway spreader..can i use this.
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

use the spreader but not when its wet !!
  3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the Ph level of your soil, which I would probably test before you applied the lime. A 40lb bag of lime will usually cover 5000 sq ft. of lawn that is not in real bad shape, and just needs to be brought up a few notches.(example if the soil test shows a 5.0-5.5 ph level) this application would work just fine

There are 3 types, powder, granular, and pellets...The pettets do not mind the water at all. the granular is the consistency of sand, and the powder, well it SHOULD be dry, and no wind at all, unless you wanna look like the pilsbury dough boy. All 40 lb bags, all cover basically 5000 sg ft. Pellets are the preferred method in our area.

Badboygoeorge said use a spreader. I agree with that, but IMO it doesn't matter if its wet or not...Your not trying to kill weeds, or crabgrass, so it doest have to stick to the leaves of the weeds. Your just trying to improve on the ph level. Unless there is a chance of run off, I wouldn't worry about it being wet.

So if your doing a 10 acre property, 90 bags would be good, but again if you have the soil tested, and it is lower than 5.0, you might want to consider an extra 30 - 40 bags. If it is higher, adjust accordingly.... Hope this helps.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For sure get the soil test first. Depending on the results will tell you how much lime you need. It could be a HUGE difference with that much property. 435,600 sf is a lot of area.
  5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Also type of soil makes a big difference.

Around here, we have clay type soil. I usually use 1 40 Lb bag per 1,000 SqFt.

The extension recommends up to 50Lbs per K per application in our area.
    Like said before do a soil test first, it should tell how much lime is needed, and use pelletized lime.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Little Country what was the result of the soil test and who is the Dr? Please let us know so that we can help you out.

7. little country

little country LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info, Im getting a soil test done today, and i will get back with you tonight