1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by T.E., Nov 12, 2003.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a soil test back and this is a first time I've ever had too add lime, 15lb per k. (Question) How long does it take for the ph to show some signs of change? thanks Tony :)
  2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Reaction from lime can take from four months to eight months. We usually ballpark around six months. The actual soil and plants will begin to benefit soon after the app but it might not be noticible to the eye.

15# per K isn't much either, what was your pH based on teh soil test?

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks EG The ph on that soil test was 5.8, Tony
  4. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

i got a test back that was also 5.8 and i need 50#/K. 15#/k is not a lot. What lime are you using?
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I just received a soil test from the lab and it had a pH of 6.1 and recommended lime @ 46# per K.

Is it safe to spread lime anytime of the year?
  6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Amount of lime needed to change soil p.h. varies depending on soil type. Ex. If you have a heavy clay soil it will resist change a lot more than sandy loam soil.

Pete D.
  7. what type of lime?
    dolomitic or calicitic?
    depends on base saturation of ca and mag!
  8. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

you can lime any time of the year. I talked to a guy from lesco today and said that he limed in mid summer and it reacted with soil quickly enough that he notice the bermuda greening up a bit. I'm not saying that it's ok any time of the year because he said that. Most of the time, i think, southern LCOs do it in the winter b/c there's nothing much else to do.
    Does the ph drop at a constant rate? can you plan to apply X anount/yr and the ph stay at 6.5? thanks