1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Limestone For waterfall

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by muddy00, Jul 12, 2006.

1. muddy00

muddy00 LawnSite Member
    from IL

What is the risk to using a few pieces of Limestone as a waterfall in a pond? Customer likes the color of the Fondulac Stone but has me worried if he adds fish.
    Any thoughts?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

limestone does very funny things to water quality. I would not add any limestone to a water feature unless you can combat the chemical changes that will occur in the water
  3. Rockriverfish

Rockriverfish LawnSite Member

Alot depends on the water chemistry to begin with. If your source water in IL is anything like mine in WI (high Ph, and very hard already) then the addition of limestone will probably not be a problem. The high Ph of the water would not cause as much leaching as some one with source water that is of an acidic Ph. In addition, regular partial water changes (which is a good thing for the fish) would bring the hardness back to base level more quickly than the limestone could increase it.

BGTIME LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

it might raise th pH a little, and possibly a little more alge too. unless they are going to be diehard koi fans, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've used wisconsin flagstone in a few waterfalls with no problems.
    -one or two pieces, not a solid flagstone wall-
  5. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

wouldn't that problem be something that would eventually work it's way out? I mean it won't leach out lime forever, will it?
  6. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I have a question on the same line. I want to build a pond that water will channel through to large limestones. In short the water would be next to limestone 100 persent of the time. Will this work? Thanks for any help.