Liming a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowForReal, Apr 20, 2001.

1. MowForReal

MowForReal LawnSite Member

What does lime do for a lawn? One of my clients says it will help kill moss in his yard....Is this true?
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

i do not know about moss however we use it here for controlling the acid in the ground..usually will apply lime on yards that have a lot of pine trees..this will help promote grass to grow where acid levels are high
  3. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Moss is normally a pretty good indicator that the pH of the soil is low. Applying lime will raise the Ph of the soil, but first you need to know how much you need to raise it or how much to put on. You need to have a soil test done which will answer the previous questions plus it will help you determine what else you may need to do to get the soil healthy.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Pulverized lime WILL kill the moss. TIDE laundry detergent will do the same thing as per Jerry Baker.

Both have worked succesfully. The good thing about the TIDE is that it gets into the fibers of your jeans when working on your knees to apply it - kind of like a pre-wash. LOL

Most soils in our region are acidic by nature (they have a low pH). Lime applications raise the pH level in the soil and help provide maximum benefit from fertilizer applications.

Maintaining optimum soil pH (between 7.5 and 6) allows nutrients in the fertilizer to become more easily absorbed by the plants making the lawn healthier and greener.

Depending on soil texture, lime typically will move downward (0.5" to 2") annually. Dense soils such as clay may take 2-3 years of repeat applications to achieve an optimum depth of 6 to 8 inches, which is the typical rooting depth of grass plants.

Once an ideal pH level is established, annual applications of lime should be applied to maintain this optimum pH.

[Edited by kutnkru on 04-20-2001 at 07:39 PM]
  5. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I was thinking about liming my yard, but, uh, kutnkru, what ya doing on your knees putting it out? I was wondering if it will go out through my spin spreader? I know you need a wide chain on a spreader truck, one to get it out in a large volume, but also is it has any moisture it will lodge and bridge over the chain, been thar dun that, rode the bed of a spreader truck with a shovel unbridging the CRAP!!!
  6. you should do the soil test before you lime definatley. do not lime and feed at the same time. they screw eachother up somehow. the other one is that every time you fertilize you acidify the soil by a certain amount. it should say on the bag that it is equivalent to x lbs CaCo
  7. Lawnking

Lawnking LawnSite Member

If there is moss in the yard, putting lime on it might be a short term fix. Moss growing means the ground is retaining too much moisture, or not getting enough air movement to dry the area out. If these conditions are changed, more than likely the moss will go away on it's own.