Liming and fert.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Craig Turf Management, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

What are your thoughts on liming and fertilizing a property on the same visit? I heard someplace that the acidity of a sulfur coated fertilizer may react with the alkaline lime. Is this true, and will the reaction damage the existing turf or impede germination of new seed.
    I have finished overseeding for the year, but I have been thinking of liming after aerating to help the lime get into the soil where it will do some good.
    I've been doing lime apps. in late december through january. Can't do much else during these months.
    I value the advice that I receive on this forum, and would appreciate any replies.
    Thanks and take care, Bill Craig

2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Bill,
    I don't know about any reactions but my Lesco rep said liming can take place anytime during the year thanks to its persistence in the soil.

Roger

3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Craig, My county agent said it is ok to lime and fertilize at the same time. But he said not to combine them in the same spreader. You should put one out then the other. The chemical reaction you are talking about seems to only happen if you mix them in the spreader.

4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. You've been a big help.
    Bill!

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Whoever told you about the reaction only happening in the spreader must be smokin' a new brand. They will react with each other once they are incorporated into the soil. Lime raises a low pH while sulfur lowers a high pH. The change in pH can only be checked by a soil test. They may possibly cancel each others actions, but it should not interfere with seed germination. Why are you using a sulfur coated product now anyway? Any N not used now will be stored in the plants and unleashed in the spring. If you are like most LCO's and get an early start, you could have 2lbs/1000 letting go all at once.

6. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

It will take 4 to 6 months for the lime to break down in the soil. The fert will be used now. If you have rye grass planted it will use the n now.