Limit to the number of characters in a post?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Mark McC, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Sean and the administrators of Lawnsite,

For the past couple of days, I've run into a problem with posting replies to posts and to personal messages. The browser window in the post or reply in question freezes, but other windows in MSIE seem to operate okay until I try to resolve the frozen window. Then Internet Explorer shuts down.

Is this because of too much text or is it because I need to update Java or some web utility like that?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Its becasue you talk too darn much.....must be the lyme disease kicking in...:) J/K

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

good question...will have to have Pierre check into this one

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Please by all means do.... I'm about to freakin loose it here! I've probably already popped a couple of blood vessels in my head recently.

I have pretty much the same explaination. As soon as I click on 'Submit Reply' everything in the window freezes up completely. Sometimes it will eventually process after several minutes. But usually it does not and all is lost. As far as I can tell, the longer the post and the more to be lost, the greater the chance of lock-up.

:angry:

When it fails to process the reply, I can press Ctrl+Alt+Del and it will tell me the lawnsite window is not responding.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Envy:
    In the meantime, what you can do and what I always do when I type a long post... I copy it. Then if it fouls up and doesn't post, all I have to do is paste in my response again in the reply box and resubmit.
    And not saying you don't know how to do this, but incase someone out there doesn't. Left click and drag the mouse over the typewritten words to "highlight" it in blue. Then right click on the highlighted area and where it says "copy",click it. It will be copied. To paste in the reply, just right click anywhere on the reply box, find where it says "paste", click it, and viola your post is now ready to submit again.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Understood... but sometimes the copy method does not work as it gets loused up in the lockup process... so what is copied cannot be pasted once the window is again operational.

Never had such a problem until recently. In fact, it has been so bad that I now have a file named "Last Post" on my hard drive. I must remember to highlight, copy, paste it to notepad and save as 'last post' which over writes the previous saved file and saves a copy of what I just typed in order to insure I do not loose what I have typed.

But I am in such a habit of doing it just like you said that I often forget to take all the new safety measures. Seems it gets me every dang time I do also....

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have noticed that it does sem to slow up a bit here and there. sometimes it loads fast, and other times slow....but I have never had a post get locked....

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Envy -

I think it's THE MAN trying to keep us monthly billers down, in order to keep all the per time guys being able to talk. That way the guys that have the accounts on a monthly fee, making money, they can't convince others that they'll end up going out of business just charging per cut.

I've got the same problems, including not being able to copy the response.

I think next time I'm going to type the response in my publishing program first, then copy to Lawnsite.

I REALLY probably shouldn't have to do that though.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto Here, Same problems lost a pretty long PM and the save didn't work either. :realmad:

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I will ask Pierre if he knows a solution