Limited choices for WB... any advise on these?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Striper, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Striper

Striper LawnSite Member
    from WV

Hello everyone,
    I am just getting started in the lawn care business this year. My past experience is in Landscape design and installation. After deciding to leave my current job and trying it on my own, I see the need for adding lawn care to my business. It will be a good steady flow of income and I can still do small landscaping jobs. I'm going solo for the first year and plan on growing each year. I already have a Pickup truck and a trailer just need a mower, It will be my only big purchase this year.
    I have read through many threads and not many talk about the mowers that are available in my area. I want a 48" walk behind Hydro with a floating deck. Here are my choices: (these are all similar models with all the features I am looking for)
    Snapper Pro Hydro 15 hp Kohler $4,900.00, 2 yr warranty
    Cub Cadet 17 hp Kaw $4,800.00, 3 yr warranty
    Toro Pro Line 15 hp Kohler $4,730.00, 2yr warranty
    Great Dane Scamper 17hp Kaw $4,770.00, 1yr warranty

The reason I don't want to travel to get an Ex-mark or Scag is I want to have a local dealer to work with.

Any suggestions help, Thanks

2. Bruceslc

Bruceslc LawnSite Member
    from 6

Cub is made for more of a homeowner- Was told this by a Cub Dealer. Second I haven't even seen a snapper wb around. I see a lot of toro's around. I had a encore for 7 yrs and also have hustlers. Good luck.:eek:

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Of all the ones listed, I'd have to say go with Toro.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would stay away from cub cadet. I had a 48" hydro with floater when they were MTD. It was a good machine, but the catching system stunk. Got rid of it. They are all over eBay now for dirt cheap. Wonder why. :D

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

"86" the Cub Cadet...the other 3 are ok, but not my favorites. See if Ferris or Hustler is available nearby too.

6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

of the ones listed i would prefer the toro over the rest. if not then the great dane. but the other two are out

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Maybe consider Lesco if theres a local dealer.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used toro belt drives for years, solid machines. Never a hydro, though. I consider the T bar steering a big plus in tight areas and awkward angles, since you can control it easily from the sides as well, and it doesn't wear your hands out. Toro is 44" in floating guise, which I consider a plus since it fits in a few more gated yards.

Not sure about their new deck designs, though. Some have complained of balance problems. This is crucial since too much up front and it won't hold hills well , will spin the drive tires in some situations(downhill mostly) and is harder to steer w/o tearing turf. Too little up front and it will pop a wheelie up hills, messing up the cut, and bounce too much on rough lawns. Most popular wb brand here, followed closely by Exmark, which they now own.

The scamper is only fixed deck, I think, on the non-pistol version, which seems easiest to learn and use. Not sure about the pistol grip version. Not popular here.

The Snapper looks solid and has good features like the loop handle steering, which may be a step towards a better steering system. It also has easy adjust levers on each side, though if they're not set or aligned identically that might cause problems. I've heard some talk of their company having problems, though.
    I emailed a guy who had one on Ebay, not to buy it, since he was too far away, and he said he liked them and didn't have many complaints.

I like the Hustler wb design, but you may not have a dealer nearby. They seem few and far between in some areas. Seems to have all the things I wanted.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried the gd,and I liked it!-Go with horsepower!:)

10. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member