Limited Landscape license class/test tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tamadrummer, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

At the Tampa DOA office. The class starts at 8am and the test is at 3pm.

I am looking very forward to finally being licensed for Round-up so I can carry it and not use each of my homeowners little squirt bottles that they buy for weeds in their beds. I can also charge now, finally!

(As long as I can pass the test)

Are any other LCO's going to be there tomorrow?

2. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

3. tamadrummer

Well I took the class and the test and I think I aced the test. It was basically all covered during the day and I had been reading the applying pesticides correctly book as well.

Either I totally bombed this sucker or I jammed it out and I felt like I knew the answer to every question.

What got me was the fact that as a Limited Commercial Applicator I have to use pesticide signs in the beds for round-up and keep soild records and I have never ever seen a flag in a bed! Ever!

4. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Hey....explain this to me please...please! I live in Bradenton. I have both the applying pest. correctly and ornamentals and turf grass pest management study guides and I have been reading them but I am still confused about what is needed for what? Is the "apply pesticides" study guide a separate test than the other book? I can't seem to find any online information on what exactly it is I am studying for....in regards to each book.

Is there a class you can go to....take all day...and then at the end....take a test? I thought you just study the book....show up....take a test. Am I wrong? Please advise!! Please!

5. tamadrummer

The next class is going to be in Polk Co. next month. Go to your local Lesco and see if they have the schedule. I will also check with the Hillsborough DOA because Mary Beth said she keeps a calander online.

You need to be reading both books, the infor from both is on the test. Make sure you can read a label inside and out!!

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

tamadrummer

I thought I posted to this thread right after you started it. I guess I hit preview instead of submit.

What I was trying to tell you was pay attention in class because all answers are given. In fact Power Point presentation have a red dot on all test questions. Don't worry you aced the test if you can read.

Liendeni

Passing the Simple test and doing the work correctly is a Horse of two different colors. You already know to get and keep upscale account you must do weed control in planting beds. Study non select weed control first and then move into over the top weed control I used to be a CEU Provider and taught over the top weed control. I didn't have enough business to keep my CEU Provider current.

Ornamental Pest control takes some time to learn, But "Florida Landscape Plants" by Watkins & Sheehan will tell you what pests each plant normally get. Knowing the name of each plant is a must and takes the longest time to learn.

BTW Tomorrow I will be taking the Road & Right of Away test. This test is for applying herbicides in parking lots and other non residential areas. My Commercial Lawn & Ornamental Certification doesn't cover these areas. I prefer to retake this test every 4 years instead of taking the CEU since I already take so many CEU each year. Once again this test is rather easy and I will not do any prep for it.

7. tamadrummer

Do you know of a CEU provider that is providing the courses that you have stopped providing?

At this point doing alot of this in the most productive manner is imperitive. Waste is a disaster with fuel costing what it is and the ability to charge only what the market will bear for services.

8. TYCINC

TYCINC LawnSite Member

Easy test, dont sweat it. Pay very close attention to the power points and youll do fine. Here in Bradenton/Sarasota, we have very good instructors at our IFAS offices, so learning and pssing was fairly easy. Good luck and its very good to see someone being responsible about sparying. Many times I see people spraying that I doubt have the lisc.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

tamadrummer

I assume you are asking me. No I know of no CEU Provider offering the same thing. That was why I choose that area and tried to target Limited Licenses. I had some help from from Larry Stone who took the same course from Penn State. He gave me all the Cool Season Material and I just found Warm Season replacements. My Core Class was how to read a Label and MSDS and the importance of reading and understanding the MSDS also which most people over look. I still have lists of all Herbicides and their mode of action which I handed out. Each Herbicide was list by whether it was Select vs Non Select, Systemic vs Contact, Pre-emege vs Post emerge, Persistent vs Non persistent, Auxin regulator, Amino Acid Inhibitor, Photosynthesis Inhibitor, Pigment Inhibitor, Cell membrane Disruptor, Root Development Inhibitor, and Bud Development Inhibitor. I also had students bring a "Florida Landscape Plants" by Wakins and Sheehan and went page by page listing the the over the top herbicides for each plant. I put a lot of preparation into this and got very little return. Since I still have the material I would be willing to still give the class, BTW Which goes way over the 2 hour CEU requirement. But unless I have a lot of interest I will not resubmit it for CEUs. I advertised that class here at Lawnsite at no charge to me and I thank LS for allowing me to do that. But I just didn't get the response I hoped for. Had that of been successful I was planning a follow up with Ornamental Pest Control and Fertilization.

10. tamadrummer

I would pay and buy your lunch to get this stuff! If you offer it in the winter, I know of 2 other guys that would as well but because they are jammed up in the summer they cannot move customers around like I can still do since I am still seeking customers.

Both are going to get the LC license in the winter and shoot I would like to be able to do the courses you are offering probably on my own and do them again with my friends if that is how it worked out!

Bill Shibles (Polk FDACS) did the weed id and pesticide apps and insect id part and it was good but WAY WAY WAY too fast! 2 hours had to be shoved into less than 1.5 because we were consistantly behind schedule.

Thanks again for the info Ric