Limited Slip Differential

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Kennedy, Feb 24, 2000.

1. Kennedy

Kennedy Guest

I am wondering what people think about using limited slip diffs (or lockers) in plow vehicles. My particular case is a shorter wheel base, full-size truck, a K-5 Blazer. I like the idea of more traction, but I wonder if you get that unpredictable &quot;kick-out&quot; to the side. What do we think guys?<p>Dave Kennedy

2. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

I have a Detroit locker in my 86 chevy and I love it. Regarding the kick out thing, in four wheel drive it is not a problem what so ever, although in in 2wd it is a blast. Do not put a locker in the front though, as you will loose all control of steering when accelerating

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

What do I think?<br>Well if you read my post about me being stupid during the last storm. Long story short, I had no 4wd during Fri night into sat morn, and my limited slip got me through.<br>it will be standard on all my new plow trucks.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Limited Slip is a great thing to have. Some of my trucks have it and some don't, i think only one has it. My trucks stay in 4wd most of the time, only it's nice to be able to used 2wd and have limited slip on those little snow and ice falls.<p>Geoff

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I am all for a locker in a work truck. I had to get a Lock-Right for my Chevy 2500 because of the rearend size.It works great but is very noisey and it has kick-out.

6. Kennedy

Kennedy Guest

So the Detroit isn't to harsh? I hear reports that Detroit lockers add an inherent <br>&quot;clunk&quot; to the drivetrain. I'm happy to hear such strong support for them. Thanks guys:)<br>

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I ordered my 95 Dodge new with a LSD its great in the rain but its a pain in the snow, I have a couple crunched running boards from sliding into walls. I wouldnt get one again. An open diff is much more predictable in the snow, and if you need the extra traction just ratchet down the e-brake a click or so, works just like the two brake pedals on a tractor.<p>Bill<p>----------<br>&quot;...half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.&quot; R.L.<br>

8. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

Yes the detroit has an occasional clunk, but that just lets you know it is back there. It is not something that will interupt you listening to the radio or something. As for the previous post about &quot;kicking out&quot; , I'm telling you, if it is in four wheel drive this can not logically happen, because the front wheel will turn at the same rpm a s the rear, keeping you in line with the rear. In fact, when I have salt in the back, I plow 60% of the time in 2wd and nave no traction or kick out problems. I like 2wd because then you do not have the binding problems with the front axle while turning on drier pavement. GO WITH THE LOCKER!

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

IU agree 500% with Doug. The factory limited slips work fine for me, and having posi, especially in reverse is a huge +. The front binding drives me nuts, so I like plowing in 2wd. Having 4wd at the move a lever is a nice feeling tho.<br>Also would you consider changing your signiture, it seems kinda over the top.<br>I think most of us here are pretty smart people, and that seems kinda degrading to me.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. chad

chad LawnSite Member
    from mlps mn

you can get the best of both worlds with an airlocker which is activated with an under the hood aircompressor when not activated your diff is open when activated its locked, they work great ARB LOCKERS are probably the best out there