Lincoln moisture meter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Jul 8, 2014.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

do these things read instantly and accurately or must they remain in place for a moment, 5 minutes, a day or so?

your 3 cents please ?

I would like something to say to my customers other than, "Your clay is rock hard, Mr./Mrs. Wonderful, just trust me" :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Lincoln in all my trucks, they are great and you can get the probes re-built. If adjusted correctly, a simple insert will tell you what you want to explain to Madge.

3. RhettMan

from Texas

what size do i get?

4. Mike Leary

12", that way you don't have to bend over so much. :) They come with a pretty neat manual that will get you started.

5. RhettMan

from Texas

Hey thats a good idea! it will be easier for the Wonderful's to verify the rock-hardness :)

I went ahead and got the 36".

6. Mike Leary

Easy does it when inserting, the brass probe wand bends easy. The 36" is a good idea, I'd forgotten that's the size we had.

7. RhettMan

from Texas

how deep should i insert for st. augustine in clay loam?

iv seen conditons here in which: the top inch or so is very hard, yet under that is anywhere from damp to soggy.

then of course, there is the completely rock hard clay through and through.

8. Mike Leary

I seem to remember the manual has the info. Once you get the Lincoln calibrated, I'd hope someone at extension service could give you guidelines, if the manual is not helpfull.

9. RhettMan

from Texas

guess who im asking if they cant :waving:

Thanks Mr. Leary I'll get'er did.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You insert it as deep as you need to .... i.e. the effective root zone depth and a little beyond. I use it to spot check, and I'll run it down until I hit saturated soil in clays for turf. If you push it down slowly while watching the needle you can get some idea of a drying profile over depth. Remember, it is not a precision tool, and should be treated as such. You "should" calibrate it on every site, but that is just not reasonable. Find a good representative soil for your area and calibrate it there.