Line Trimmer Man - How Much Do You Pay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 22, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just curious to see what the other LCO's are paying their non-crew leaders. Several questions:

How much per hour?

Do you pay overtime for hours worked over 8 in a day or 40 in a week?

How many hours do your non-crew leaders typically get in a week during the season?

Are they getting unemployment benefits during the winters?

Do you provide laundry service for employee uniforms, or do they take the uniforms home and wash them on their own time?

Lastly, if they show up for work and it's raining, do you send them home immediately or do you have them stick around and find things to do, like sweap out the garage/shop, sharpen blades, etc. If you send them home immediately, are they required to check back in at a particular time of the day?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I start them out at $8.50.Get raise if they show they deserve it.Yes they get paid overtime after 40 we work 4 tens.. All taxes are paid to IRS , State . etc. The unemployment benes is between them and state if they qualify.Workers pay for the Co. shirts and wash their own. If its raining to hard to mow i call them before to tell them if we will work or if we will start later in day . Some times it lets up and you can still get out and work by noon . Usually able to put in 5 or 6 hours after noon time.

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

My former employer paid new hires with no experience, the min wage required by law. After 90 days they got a small raise and were required to wear and pay for the uniform rental and set up fees, plus they had to pay a 300 deposit for the uniforms. On rain days, if they showed up, they wait, off the clock of course, til someone made up their mind on what to do. Time and a half for OT after 40 hrs. Unless they were considered farm workers, then no OT.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I start at $8.00 and give overtime after 40. In the summer its between 50-70 hours depending on how busy the week is. They dont get laid off, we work in winter. I pay for uniforms, and they wash them. It rarly rains in the morning here, maybe 3 times a year at the most, I call that depending on how far behind we are, or if i think it will last all day.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

How many hours do they get were talking the lowest pay level guys in the company I work them 50-60 hours a week why not even the ones at 10 an hours its only 15 time and half. As for what do I start them at zero abilities 9 an hour a little experience then 9.50 they can usually go up to 10 the first year. Obviously mowers make more but no one gets to use them with me till they have demonstrated trimmer abilities.

6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, sounds great I bet people where on a waiting list to come work for him with sweet benefits like that.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Yeah really!:rolleyes:

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

LMFAO:D :D :D

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure he is the classic employer that complains about never finding good help. What a moron. Hopefully his business is, or is going, belly up.