Line Trimmer Selection - Anyone using Honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ITL, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Need to get another line string trimmer for lawn trimmer work only. No heavy weed or blade work as we only use it where the mower cannot get on established lawns.
    We were leaning toward the 2600 Redmax straight shaft line trimmer but demoed a Honda HHT25S during the Louisville Expo and it seemed to perform well. Both seem to be around the same price. Any thought on using the Honda 4 cycle line string trimmers. Only negative I can see is the increase in weight 11 pound Redmax to 13 pound Honda. Anyone using the Honda Line string Trimmers for this type work? How do they hold up? 4 cycle mini-Honda engine uses 100cc of oil per 50 hour change and can be rotated in any direction although we use stick blade edger so line trimmer is not used on the side.

Thanks Wayne

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Husqvarna has the honda 4 stroke also look on the block.

3. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

shindaiwa t261, why go four stroke either.

4. JMB

JMB LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'm not gonna switch to 4 stroke until there aren't anymore 2 strokes around. The Redmax strato charged engine is a 2 stroke.

5. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I have the BCZ 3000 Redmax and the Honda 35. Both trimmers work well.

You stated your work will be trimming. I like the Honda better for blade work, but for trimming, the Redmax is clearly better, lighter, and a great choice.

Should you get the Honda, I found synthetic oil (Mobil 1) worked best.

Good Luck

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

look at husky 2 stroke instead of the redmax. lighter and a better preformer. the cutting head on the redmax is the pits. otherwise redmax is fine . i am also sticking to 2 stroke as long as i can

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a honda 4 stroke for 4 plus years, no probs with it, top notch, I'll buy another! heavier yes, but you get used to it. the new trimmer heads are great too, unlike the early ones which weren't so good lol.

I wish my mowers all were as reliable and problem free as this trimmer. I love honda stuff, love 4 stroke, mixing feul is a pita, wish everything I had was 4 stroke, slowly getting there.....

8. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with 128Steve. I have the Redmax BCZ3000 and think it is the best trimmer in the world but if you are going to be doing alot of heavy brush cutting, I think the Honda would be the better choice.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Stick with the 2 stroke!!! Echo has a fine line of trimmers from the lightest to the big heavy weght units. One of their best is the 261T. It has new gearhead to provide more torque.

10. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Thanks for the information. Never thought I would consider a 4 cycle hand held until the 2 cycle was unavailable. Been pleased with the other Redmax Stratocharged equipment for keeping a 2 cycle meeting emissions while saving fuel. So most likely will go that direction and lift 2 less pounds each time I pull trimmer out. Not sure if the arm pain is from lifting/holding the hand equipment or from pull starting the old line trimmer that has seen better days.

Thanks Wayne