Line trimmer shields

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T-Bone, Jan 30, 2001.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

What is everyones opinion on using a line trimmer without the grass shield for areas away from Res. such as fenses trees shrubs etc.?

I have tried it of course with safty glasses and found it was a lot easier to trim around things with but didn,t like the limitations as to what you could do with it (small area edging etc.).

thanks

2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

We use shields on all of our trimmers. Commercial and Residential.

It protects us, civilians, windows, doors, etc. Best to be safe than sorry.

I also heard the shields cuts the line to an equal length to give the edge of trimmer the right balance. Thus putting lest strain on the motor.

3. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I see a bunch of guys here in our area without shields on their whip. We do not allow employees to take the shields off. Manufacturers place them there for a reason. In fact we have a couple of jobs that we do every couple of weeks that we make it manditory to wear long pants to protect our employees from the debris.

4. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I would keep the shield on. Remember safty first.

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

The last time I checked a trimmer couldn't throw a brick! Y'all act like you're gonna kill somebody with it off! We keep ours off, and it helps time greatly. Also, we try to keep everyone away while we're mowing, etc. Here's a past thread on it http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=5196
    Here are some of my favorite quotes:

If your worried about getting hit in the leg with a rock or getting a little dirty then i would hate to say it but u went into the wrong business. The second i get a new whip the first thing i do is take the gaurds off. I di not see how people can whip with them on. First off the cuting width is tiny, u mindsa as well break out a pair of scissors. Second off they are way to powerfull with that little string, u get to close to a small bush or anything you will hack the crap out of it. third it is way off balance and goofy.....i can whip a yard 5 times faster without the gaurds.

GUARDS OFF! The increase in productivity is HUGE! I don't worry about getting dirt on me, (as powerreel said, "That's funny!") I NEVER wear shorts while mowing or Weed Eating. I wear a pair of safety glasses all the time (well, almost) while I'm trimming(and have only got my lip busted once-by a piece of fence wire). The only downside to having the guard off is that in high grass you occaisionally get slug guts on ya!

I use shindaiwa t270's. I run them without the guard. I can put out about a foot of line and walk as fast as I can and still trim everything. Guards just add weight and get in the way. I use the universal bump heads, so I can switch spools with all the trimmers. I wear Oakley Eye Jackets to protect my eyes(Its a write off ) I have taken a few good shots over the years, but you get use to it. Slug guts are nasty, but the worst is the doggie do do that you didn't see!!

To be, or not to be... I drop our gaurds for productivity. With practice, small poles and trees can be trimmed without having to go around them. Different conditions require different blade lengths. i.e. regular grass trimming can take longer length, allowing wider, smooter swaths to be taken while something like a heavy foliaged ditch may require shorter string/more engine power to move through more productively. The onlything is, is that with no guards with cutoff, we carry a pair of sidecutters or pruners with us to cut the string to length. Not that much of a hassle.

My longest post EVER!

6. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The 1st thing I do when I get a new trimmer is remove the guard. For me, I cannot trim with that thing there. Maybe it is not as safe, but for me it is more productive.

SJR

7. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

The first thing I noticed when removing my trimmer's guard was I stopped being hit by objects! That's right, I say a trimmer is SAFER without the shield. I could not believe the difference it made for me. Your mileage may vary.

8. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I'm with SMB, it must be something here in Southwest Va. I run T-270's and 260's and the shields came off the first day I bought them. It makes it so much easier to see what you are doing. Also you can make up alot of time by stretching that string out there. You might think it is hard on the motor but I never have to run it full throttle and still cuts through grass and weeds like butter(esp. the 270). I also use bump heads. If you accidently tap it, I either use a gerber multiplier or just find something hard to burn it off. They will sometimes throw debris back on you but that is just part of the game. You just have to grin and bear it. Hey SMB, where do you buy your Shindaiwa's.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I dont think they offer any protection.
    Just a way to say we are making them safe
    to satisfy safety regulation OSHA ETC.
    I might let any hired help remove it themselves
    tho to avoid lawsuits .

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

What the heck, I might as well add my 2 cents. I used to trim with the guard on until I got on lawnsite. I saw people talking about trimming w/o the guard and thought they were crazy, until I tried it myself. Now I wouldn't put it back on for anything. I have not been hit by any more debris w/o it, and can trim faster and in tighter spots. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks.