Line Trimmer: Stihl vs RedMax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flamingo-flaps, Apr 15, 2008.

1. flamingo-flaps

flamingo-flaps LawnSite Member
    from Tn

I am about to buy a new trimmer and am looking for your expert opinions. My choices locally are few. I need one now because my old one died. I have a Stihl dealer and a RedMax dealer. Stihl appears to have more engine displacement for the money, but I just don't know. Is RedMax's 23.6cc trimmer as powerful as Stihl's 25.4? Money-wise, I could have Stihl's 28.4cc for less than RedMax's 23.6cc. But I want to spend my $350 (+/-) on the best machine. Below I will give the specs and prices on the ones I looked at. Any important pros or cons would be appreciated. If you have had good or bad experiences with either, I would appreciate that info as well. Thanks....

http://www.redmax.com/Page3353.aspx

The StratoCharged is supposed to use LESS fuel.

RedMax BCZ2401S String Trimmer $319
    Engine: 2 CycleStrato-Charged™
    Engine Displacement: 23.6 cc
    Carburetor: Diaphragm with Purge Pump
    Ignition System: Solid State
    Fuel Capacity: 21.3 fl. Oz
    Dry Weight: 11.1 lbs
    Weight w/o Guard: 10.4 lbs
    DriveShaft: Straight, Solid Steel, Splined Ends
    Head: PT104+
    Warranty: 2 Years Commercial, 2 Years Homeowner
    PT 104+ Trimmer Head

BCZ2601S String Trimmer $369
    Engine: 2 CycleStrato-Charged™
    Engine Displacement: 25.4 cc
    Carburetor: Diaphragm with Purge Pump
    Ignition System: Solid State
    Fuel Capacity: 22.0 fl. Oz.
    Dry Weight: 11.3 lbs
    DriveShaft: Straight, Solid Steel, Splined Ends
    Head: PT104+
    Warranty: 2 Years Commercial, 2 Years Homeowner

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/features.html

Stihl FS 80 R $299
    DISPLACEMENT 25.4 cc (1.55 cu. in.)
    ENGINE POWER 0.95 kW (1.27 bhp)
    WEIGHT 4.9 kg (10.8 lbs.)*
    FUEL CAPACITY 450 cc (15.2 oz.)
    * Weight without cutting attachment or deflector.
    Powered by STIHL Professional Series engine
    TapAction™, 2-line AUTOCUT® head
    Durable cable drive shaft
    Three-shoe clutch

Stihl FS 90 R $299 (same as FS 80 R)
    DISPLACEMENT 28.4 cc (1.73 cu. in.)
    ENGINE POWER 0.95 kW (1.27 bhp)
    WEIGHT w/ Loop Handle: 5.3 kg (11.7 lbs.)*
    WEIGHT w/ Bike Handle: 5.5 kg (12.1 lbs.)*
    FUEL CAPACITY 530 cc (18.0 oz.)
    Powered by a proven low-emissions STIHL engine
    Solid drive shaft will accommodate metal blades with
    approved deflectors and handle configurations.
    TapAction™, AUTOCUT® 25-2 head is standard

Stihl FS 110 R $349
    DISPLACEMENT 31.4 cc (1.9 cu. in.)
    ENGINE POWER 1.0 kW (1.3 bhp)
    WEIGHT w/ Loop Handle: 5.3 kg (11.7 lbs.)*
    WEIGHT w/ Bike Handle: 5.5 kg (12.1 lbs.)*
    FUEL CAPACITY 530 cc (18 oz.)
    Powered by powerful low-emissions STIHL engine
    Uses proven AUTOCUT® cutting head
    Lower vibration for comfortable operation

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Get Redmax!! For $350 you can get the BCZ3001S 29.5cc 11.2lb if it is on sale or talk to the dealer to see whether thay are willing to lower the price. Read my pole. So far hate to tell you the result no looking as good for the hybrid 4Mix. The RedMax BCZ2401 is 1.1 hp which is not too bad, you should be able to get it for less than $300. Check Mowtown etc.

Please look at my polling and vote.

3. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i have 2 new stihl 80's and i have a 4 year old redmax 2600 .... the guys fight over the redmax... its MUCH lighter.... and a WHOLE LOT lighter on gas. My only problem with it is that it will shock you sometimes if you touch the spark plug boot..... guess i need a new boot. But if i had a Redmax dealer close i wouldve bought 2 new 2600 strato charged.... but i dont so i bought the Stihl 80's. they guzzle gas.

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Stihl all the way! I have an FS 90 R but, If I needed b@lls to the wall power the FS 110 R would be my choice.

Just a side note to yungman, the #'s don't lie 4Mix is here to stay and please let's not start up again where we ended.

5. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Just compare the number of Stihl dealers out there to the number of people who sell Redmax and you'll have your answer-STIHL. Dealers sell Stihl over Redmax for a reason. Zenoah makes model airplane engines. Stihl makes outdoor power equipment and have been for 100 yrs-they invented the chainsaw.

6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I am not putting in my opinion this time, I am also disappointed that 4Mix has higher problem ratio. I did not make that up.

7. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

We have two 110's that we purchased last year and all I can say is wow! We do a lot of trimming due to our area having a lot of creeks and streams. We have a couple of properties that two people are trimming for at least 45mins to an hour. So I can say that we probably have 2 years worth of use on hours in the first year.
    They are awesome. Zero trouble, cuts through thick stuff with ease. We got a Echo this year (forgot the model) but it's the biggest one that you can get at home depot. ($269.00) It's not even in the same league. It bogs down to easy. We got it just to have a third/backup if needed and one of our 110's is a kombi and we keep the edger on it. If we could we would take it back and get another stihl, maybe a smaller/lighter one. But if I was going to have only one it would be the 100 or 110 from stihl. I can't speak to the redmax, only what I have heard and according to people on this site they are pretty darn good.

As to the trouble people talk about with the 4-mix, Ours have ran flawlessly to this point (knock on wood) and I know a couple other LCO's that have been in this business 15-20 yrs. and they are using the 110's and they say that it's a beast and its the best they have ever used.

But as always, Dealer support and trust is usually the biggest decision when you are looking at top performing products like stihl and redmax.
    Hope this helps.

8. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

A quote from Stihl,:clapping:" There's a reason you don't see them at Home Depot."

9. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

For your money get either the 80R or the 90R, have both and they are excellent. Many years of use out of the 80's and a few on the 90's so far. Will get them again if the need arises.

10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

stihl fs110 all the way. yungman does not have a clue. and cant even understand his own poll. i wouldnt trade my fs110 for two redmax bczbulls%^t weedeaters. read all the past post about redmax bogging down and waiting for them to warm up everytime you crank them. we tried a 2400 for a couple of seasons and it just would not hold up to everyday use. it was rebuilt from one end to the other (twice) literally. however we have had good luck with the backpack blowers and chainsaw..........