Line trimmer suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by noygdb, Sep 14, 2004.

1. noygdb

noygdb LawnSite Member

I am considering the following line trimmers, and would appreciate any input to aid me in my selection:

Shindaiwa T231 $249.00
    Echo SRM231 $289.00
    Husqvarna 326L $299.00
    Husqvarna 324LX $329.00

326LX - because of its Honda 4-stroke engine
    Shindaiwa - because of its price,
    Echo - because of its sturdy construction.

Dislikes:
    Husqvarna - service ability (with Lowe's selling the Husky line, I'll bet that many dealers will become less interested in carrying and supporting this brand)
    Echo - weight
    Shindaiwa - looks less sturdy that the Echo

Any comments would be appreciated!!

Steve

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Home Depot carried Echo and didn't stop dealers here. I like Echo but the Shindys are good to. Either or. Husky good products not easy to get parts at least here anyway.

3. noygdb

noygdb LawnSite Member

Thank you for your input.

My choices became narrowed to only 4-cycle engines (long story), so I went out this evening and purchased the Husqvarna 324LX. It has the Honda GX25 engine, and runs very strong; it is much stronger than I anticipated. I bought it over the Honda HHT25SLTA (for the same price) because the Husqvarna engine mount system appeared more flexible and forgiving then the Honda, and I anticipated it would transmit less vibration to the user. On top of that, it is almost 2 lbs lighter than the Honda (Honda = 13 lbs, Husqvarna = 11.2 lbs).

The dealer was great (John @ Livermore Saw and Mower, Livermore CA), and he let me fire up both for comparison. Sure enough, the transmitted vibrations were noticeably less with the Husqvarna. I really didn't want to buy a Husqvarna, but with the Honda engine, lower vibration levels, and lower weight, I could not resist.

First impressions:

Started right up out of the box (after adding oil and gas, of course), on the second pull. Smooth, and lots of power; haven't even needed full throttle yet. The lower weight of the Husqvarna makes it feel manueverable, although not as agile as some of the lighter two cycle competitors (including Husqvarna's 326L).

The owner's manual for the 324LX is a little light, and gives few maintenance instructions specific to the power unit, but the GX25 power unit has it's own manual on the Honda web site which gives all the details necessary. BTW - the engine is clearly marked "Honda GX25", so there is no doubt as to the engine's source. The instructions for "assembly" showed how to install a trimmer head that was different than the one sent with the unit; that didn't slow me down, however some less handy might spend time looking for parts shown in the diagram that don't actually exist. All in all, the manual needs some help. An "included parts" list would also be useful when unpacking the unit..

The included T35 bump-feed line head seems to work well, and is easy to reload - the reel drops out of the head without tools or having to flip the trimmer over. Once loaded, just pop the reel back in and off you go. It does let out quite a bit of line at a time, however, and once I had to stop and cut the line by hand because it was too long to catch on the cutting blade buried in the trimmer shroud.

So far I am happy with the unit. Lightweight, strong, smooth, and easy to handle. Just what I was looking for...

Steve

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. I am also in the market for a new line trimmer and have been checking out the Husky brand. They seem to be well put together and very sturdy. My only concern is serviceability. How easy is it to get parts or service for these? Lowes is really the only place around here that sells them, or Northern Tool.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear that you are happy with the new piece of equipment. Please continue to let us know how it works out.

Gravely_Man

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

that T231 Shindaiwa is really cheap..i bought one a while back that just hangs on my trailer now at it was 279.00. i used to like it tho until i bought a T2510. 231 is light, powerful and quiet. I think you would like it.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I personally would get the ECHO srm2601. I bought the last two for $315 each. A lot of power and still very light.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I feel sorry for you guys in california being on carb tierIII.
    how were the 2-cycle even an option? I thought you couldn't buy those in california.

9. cgotro

cgotro LawnSite Member

I think Redmax is the only 2 cycle that is approved after 2005, the Husky added a converter to get the lower emissions. Was thinking about the husky myself glad to know the husky with the honda is a good machine. looking forward to getting one in the hand. :cool2:

10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Red Max!!!! I have a Red Max BCZ2600S trimmer and it is a fantastic machine!!!! It is very light and good on fuel!!!! It is extremely powerful and very well made!!!!