Line trimmer technique

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nevets93, Jul 9, 2008.

1. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Can someone give me some tips on using a line trimmer. I have been cutting a lot of yards lately and I just don't feel like my trimming is up to par, but it is infinately better than when I first started.

2. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

Pull the trigger!
    I didnt think there was a technique, just swing your arms

3. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

Don't advance the line by tapping the head in the lawn if it can be helped. Always advance the line by tapping pavement or concrete.

Trimmers blow high grass down causing employees to burn aim at the base of grass to cut it. Avoid this. When trimming don't burn the grass to the crown. Let your clients know that if the grass is a bit "fuzzy" next to retaining walls that is the reason. Healthy grass is the objective. Unless of course, they want the "tight" look.

Use chemical edging next to retaining wall, houses and etc. Years of string trimming will stain and cut into the hardest of materials. If any of my employees are hitting the house, retaining wall or etc. with the string they are subject to getting let go.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I disagree with the chemical use around walls and homes. It looks like total crap when you see brown dead grass out lining the entire place. Use the trimmer to knock it down. I trim right up against the house at a angle so the string hits where the dirt meets the foundation. I haven't noticed any stains from string trimming. You comment reminds me of one reason I opened my own business. :rolleyes:

5. ALC-GregH

from PA

also, I look around at some places and see nice brown out lines around peoples fences. It looks even worse.People are getting to lazy anymore and think spraying is the answer. WRONG. Trim it out of the way.

6. wnccutter

That sounds like a great idea. :dizzy: Especially on stucco.

Your comment reminds me why I'm picking up so much business.

7. wnccutter

:laugh:

Yeah, wow, that 1" chem pattern at the base of a chain link fence had to of been done by a lazy person.

8. wnccutter

Therefore, grass does not stain?

9. ALC-GregH

from PA

never said that, I said I never "noticed" any stains. Big difference.

It really doesn't matter if your lazy or not, the brown line are the fence looks like dog **** to me. Do you use that stuff to put initials in the grass at your customers homes so other LCO's know who's mowing? :D

I'm done, have it your way, I'll have it mine...... see ya.... :walking:

10. wnccutter

No, actually, the grass turns to dirt eventually and you cannot see it. Quit exaggerating just to try and make a point. 1" strip around the base of a house fine...6" strip around the base...no. I agree, in some cases the use of chemicals are overdone, it takes some judgement and experience to know when chemicals are appropriate.

So you would not chem a chain link fence huh? Best use of your time is to string trim it huh?