linear foot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yergus, Feb 11, 2003.

1. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

First let me start out by saying I never claimed to be the sharpest pencil in the drawer, and I have a question that many of you will shake your head and think of me as stupid.
    I have heard of linear foot, and sold by the linear foot, but rather than open my mouth and admit I am an idiot, I kept it shut and just let them think I was.
    so now I admit it, what is a linear foot, and what kind of formula do you use to determine a linear foot.
    thank you in advance.

2. Its the measurement of a line

If you have a sidewalk that is 50' long and there is one side only to be edged-that would be 50 linear feet. If 2 sides need edged you would have 100 linear feet.

So, no formula - just use a tape measure.

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Linear foot is a running foot: 12'' from point A to Point B in a straight line is 1 linear foot.

4. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There is a square foot.

There is a cubic foot.

The linear foot is just a way to say straight line measure - and not any of the above.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

What it means is if you buy something .... say a length of wood at $1 per foot n you got 1.5 feet the cost would be $1.50

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be confused with Bd. ft, or board feet of wood. :D. Anyway, to the original poster, there really is no such thing as a dumb question here. (Oh, certainly there are occasionally dumb answers, like some that I give, {the above is a fine example}). But, for the most part, there is ALWAYS something that each and everyone of us DOESN'T know. ;)

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's probably some others that never knew what "linear" meant, but were afraid to ask.