Lined up new Lesco at GIE!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, a few minutes before 6pm I slide by the Lesco booth to do the last thing on my 'must do' list.... find out if the Wide Track 60" is now available with a Lesco badge.

Lesco guy goes "yeah, Wide Track 60" with a 33hp Generac."
    Of course I'm floored... "got one here?"
    He says "no, but you can look at that 72" same frame and engine, we have 3 in stock at the store, how many did we sell?"... Other guy says "2 already, got 1 left."

I ask how much they are going for. I like the machine and price, but I'm not quite ready to write the check on the spot. I have more questions than we have time and I haven't seen a WT-60" yet in the flesh. So we agreed to put my name on that one and resume talks next week.

Part of me said heck why not? While the other part of me is not an impulse buyer. I need to demo the machine, think a bit, and most of all work out a service pledge agreement. I can buy bulk normal wear/service items and there are two Cub Commercial dealers around local. BUT it's a long way back down to the Lesco store in question and I think it's the closest one to me. I need to know what to expect in the event of a service issue.

BUT 33HP and 60" in the same sentence tends to cloud judgment...
    How many of you would have been prone to just write the check?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Not on a MTD.
    John

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

John, MTD is not as bad as you think. When they say commercial, they mean commercial. I'd say their just as good as an Exmark. I've looked at the Cub Commercials before and they really look like a well built machine.

Envy lawn, I'm not an impulse buyer either but I would have probibly said heck with it and then wrote the check. I'd say if you had a problem and had to have the mower repaired you could probibly take it to the cub dealer. I don't know that for sure though.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Now John,

Have you used the Z-Two ZTR's? I haven't so I can't say and I only see one Cub Tank on a trailer around here. Cubs are priced out of this world here. More than most every other machine. Never demo'd but I will now.

Travis,

I have thought of that. One Cub dealer's shop stays slammed and the other is OK. But I wouldn't get preferred treatment at either place IF a Lesco could be taken to a Cub shop for warranty work. As far as the Generac goes, I only know of one certified guy that can do their work. He's a friend of mine, a neighbor, and a really good tech. He has nothing but praise for the Generac's while I know diddly crap about them..... well other than the Dixie guys really seem to like them.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You shouldn't have any problem with the Generac engine. they are very good from what i've heard and they are a very large company also so that is a good thing.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I have heard they are 'most excellent' engines.
    They also must run for hours on end on generators and such. So I don't see why they wouldn't be great for commercial mowing applications. Also 33HP on a 60" should be just my thing if it doesn't suck gas like an SUV.

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

generators generate very little SAND/GRASS/bouncing off holes/mexican operators/drag

8. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

I Hear You Norm!

9. Envy Lawn Service

I already thought about the 'controled' environment issue for the generator application verses the totally variable environment of mowing. But then again Dixie Chopper has been using them for a good while now. I haven't heard complaints and I'm seeing them on other mowers as well.

All I have heard are good things, but still I have to be the skeptic as well because I have no personal experience with them, ya know....

10. Envy Lawn Service

Well, the guy called today, but he didn't call until I was already out on the job this morning. I was pressed hard all day and finished the last account after dark. So I didn't get in until late. Maybe I can catch up with him soon though...