Liner against a huge boulder?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JDUtah, May 13, 2011.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

good to know, good to know, I was considering painting the concrete and where it touches the boulder with foundation sealer... problem being if it shifts at all the seal could easily be broken...

and yes this is something I was considering, if I did a wall , footings, and reinforcement would be required

thanks again! I am still a while away form attacking this particular part and am still just gathering ideas and learning as much as I can. This will be my first build.

2. GrandMaster

GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I would strap it and rent a small forklift or such to lift and place some heavy geo under it etc. Maybe core the center and have a bubble up in the rock?

3. JDUtah

from UT

Interesting idea. I wonder how much it weighs...

4. JDUtah

from UT

Lately with the way the landscaping is coming together I am leaning to a natural look/approach and wonder how "natural" starting the fall on the top of the boulder would look.

What do you guys think if I made it look like a spring coming up in a cove (the cove where the ground cover is in this pic) albeit this "spring" would be facing the house not the road with the boulder in its current position. Thoughts?

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=221484&stc=1&d=1305679442

5. GrandMaster

GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I think it would be great! But that rock would look cool with water coming off that side in a sheet into a cove.

6. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously. you are probably talking max of $500 (probably more like $350) to do it right. If the rock is the centerpiece of your feature why would you not just bite the bullet and do it so that you know it will work?

7. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! I need to start purchasing from your suppliers.
    The pump. liner, geotextile and plumbing components for this size project would eat up most of the $500.00 using my suppliers. Still have to core the rock, reset it, build a reservoir, purchase gravel and probably additional rock, and run electrical.

8. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

Oops haha. Yes perhaps I should clarify on what that price pertains to, which was just moving the rock.

9. JDUtah

from UT

The money isn't what scares me it's the job itself. I have never re-set something so heavy, not to mention built a water feature out of it (or anything lol). Enough advice and encouragement here and I just might have to try.