liners?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mikey, Mar 17, 2002.

1. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

hi
    do u have to lay down some typr of liner to kill the weeds before u lay down mulch?also is there any special way to lay mulch down? do u have to leave some opening near the bark of a tree and small trees?help!!!

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

when mulching i like to sprinkle some preen down. i absolutely hate that weed block material. sooner or later the weeds will grow through. i usually put mulch down at 2 or 3 inches and it slows weed growth. the preen does a good job at preventing weeds from germinating. as far as mulching around trees, just dont put a lot of mulch resting, or burying the tree or shurb trunk. that will induce tree stem rot and is an invitation for disease.

3. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

No type of fabric or physical barrier should ever be used under shredded bark mulch. The mulch over time does break down into soil in which the weeds can germinate. If someone places a fabric under the mulch, they are beginning a layering effect that becomes a pain in the rectum later. OVer time it ends up like this:

Mulch
    Fabric
    Soil (decomposed mulch)
    Fabric
    Soil
    ETC
    ETC

Eventually someone decides that the beds are too heaped and starts to rip out the materials. They end up with more of a mess than should have been allowed to occur in the first place.

Short Version: Only use fabrics under products that do not break down.

Sorry for the rambling. Too many jobs where I have been the one doing the repair.

4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We use the one or two finger rule when laying mulch. Typically we lay it 1" to 1.5" thick. Lighter in densly planted beds. We always use a finger width around the crown all small plants, like perennials, annuals, etc. Two fingers around the trunk of woody ornamentals/trees. We don't like mulch touching the base of our plants.