1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lines in Center of Stripe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajbkid, Jun 2, 2012.

1. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

Idk if if this is an issue or not, but on some lawns/many lawns, i get these 2 lines down the center of my stripes.

Mower is a 2010 Super Z (xr7 of course)
    also have a 2006 Super Z (also xr7) that i have seen it do this also.
    blades are the fusion oem ome ones. fresh and sharp.
    there seems to be no uncut grass on the lines, just a visual thing.

Whats the deal? What causes this?

[​IMG]

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Do you have anti scalp wheels on? If so try raising them up a notch or just take them off. These are the middle ones of course.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. hamiltonlawncare

hamiltonlawncare LawnSite Member

I too occasionally get these with my '08 XR7 66" I get them when I go below 3 1/2" in thick grass. Not really sure why its happening, just something for you to think about

4. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Happens on my 52"toro
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That happens when you cut too much of the grass blade off. You're cutting the grass below where the green stops on the grass blades. Cut at your normal height and when you notice this happening lift the blades up 1/2". The mark should go away. If not then raise another 1/2".

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Check your deck pitch over a nice flat and smooth surface. Too much pitch can cause this as well, since the blades are actually cutting semi circles, or furrows (in a manner of speaking), and are leaving the marks at the tops of their respective arcs.

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Is it usually toward the end of the day when this happens? If so, it could be your ass dragging. :)

8. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

9. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

Hahaha. This was my second to last account today so that could be.

Thanks for the replys, probly is cuz im taking off to much. This guy wants it cut every 10 days so it gets longer, and today i cut it at 4".
    Glad to see that its not uncommon.
    Il check pitch but i bet its good. The 2010 is just barley a year old now (got a deal on the dealers last 2010 last year) so i assume its still set up properly.
    Thanks for the replys
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Never assume a dealer set it up properly. I have had about half of my machines delivered set up incorrectly even after I specifically requested they make sure that they were checked and set as they should be before dropping it off to me. It prolly isn't that far out though.