1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Line's in the grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flykelley, Mar 19, 2005.

1. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Hello Guy's
    I'm not in the LCO but do snow plowing and salting. Just enjoy reading about lawn care and equiment. I have a 1 acre lot and have tried to get those lines in the grass while I mow it. You know like you see at the Ball Parks and such. I use a riding mower and have mowed back and forth, at angle's but I can't get that look. New blades maybe? Do you sharpen blades more than once a year for a 1 acre home lot?

Thanks for your help
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

flykelly the blades have nothing to do with it. But you should sharpen them at least a few times a year for your lot. There are a few things that can make those great looking lines, strippng kit, the deck of the mower, etc. I really never saw a great looking stripped lawn after a homeowner cut it themselves with a garden tractor (no offense). Try going the same way two weeks in a row, then another way for two weeks, although you should be cutting in a different direction each cut. Good luck payup
  3. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

you are using ridding mower (tractor)? You need to use commercial mower to get good looking strips on your yard. Tractor will not do it.
  4. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Thanks Guy's. That explains why everything I tried didn't work. I really like that look, maybe I will buy a used commercial mower. With so much lowballing there should be some good deals out there.

Regard's Mike
  5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get any sort of high lift blades for your mower it will help. The greater suction of the blades will help bend the blades of grass over more as the back of the deck passes over.

You can also make yourself a stripping kit with piece of rubber on the back of your deck. You can also make a stripper by hanging chains or a piece of rubber from a angle iron mounted across the back of your tractor behind the rear wheels.

All you need to do to get stripes is get the grass to bend over
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, Sears has a new lawn roller for homeowner garden tractors. It's eighty bucks, and may do the trick for you..
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm...tell that to Dave Mellor and the folks at Simplicity :D