1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lining up work for after the april/may rush

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, May 23, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I was wondering what most of you do for when the slower times in the business occur (once cleanups and most mulch jobs are done). Are newspaper advertisements worth it? Are passing out flyers affective during June/July/August? I realize I soon need to get into the pesticide part of the business, nonetheless I am looking for a few ideas on how to drum up some new clients.
  2. this year what i am trying to do is do the planting jobs in the fall. i am trying to avoid spring plantings. mulch, i am doing the first mulch job friday. so far all we have been doing is cleanups, 1 sod job, seedings, etc. and cutting grass. the way i am trying to work my schedule is do the plantings and what not when there is sufficient rain and temperatures. in the summer i will do my tree work and hardscapes such as patios, retaining walls, and other such forms of work where plants are not required and large amounts of time can be spent. in the fall we have to do new lawns and what not. right now i am telling people that we will try to get to them sometime in mid july. if we get lucky then that will be the case. however it is just me and 2 other people for 4 days of the week now. and that isnt bad. i do a lot of little bs on the other days. so you just keep the guys busy, and keep takin the work in. and try not to burn through it so fast. if all you are doing is cleanups and cutting then i dont know what to tell you. get the side work goin and you will be set.
  3. dmk, where in mass are you at? and are you in school now or what?
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Hedges. Lots of hedge maintenance for us in June.
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm the same with lawnboy, doing seeding, cutting, and the other spring stuff, but i did do 3 mulch jobs already this year. only because of how far ahead of schedule i was, doing 2 more landscaping jobs this weekend. i mulch and the other is bigger than i ever did(should finish tues. with it.) about july and augest, july is still basicaly cutting some mulch, augeust is time to relax for a week or 2 and take a vaction for a few days when everything stops growing. just to get ready for thatching, aerating, over seeding, and cleanups, plus cutting.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Jodi, hedges are growing like crazy right now. I will start doing a lot more of these within the next few weeks.

I did stick an ad in the paper starting today. I don't want a slow down this year. I would like to add a few more cutting jobs to the route.
  7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Actually I go to Rhode Island College, and will graduate with a B.A. in December. Plan to go fulltime after that.