Link to Golf course mowing equpiment discussion

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Az Gardener, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone have a link to Golf course lawn equipment discussion? I need some info on reel mowers and have had no responses on this site.
  2. Az Gardener

I did a search and found SWD from central Tx sounds like the guy I need to talk to but his e-mail has been deleted from the server? Any body know SWD? is he still participating? Also sounds like you guys hate reel mowers.
  3. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

You may try, or What info are you seeking? I had plenty of reel mowers on the golf course, and may be able to help.

4. Az Gardener

I am looking to buy (used) a larger reel mower than the typical 25" and 27" tru-cut and pro masters I have beeen using for years. I have several properties in the 15-25,000 sq ft range and I would like to purchase something a little more efficient. About 5-years ago I had a Jacobson tri king I was never very happy with the cut so I got rid of it. There were always ridges from one reel to the next the company that sold it to me had techs out to try and fix the problem but never could. The lawns looked better with the 27' Pro master thats 20 years old. I have to think the technology is better now and I have a little more money to spend I would like to try again. I am now looking at a Jacobson Greens King 4 with a 62" cut Its a riding greens mower and you can back lap it on the machine. 4500 hours and $$ 7200.00
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't know my email wasn't available - probably something I inadvertently altered in my settings.

Regarding your question about reel mowers, I not only like them, you will find that properly maintained they are quite reliable. I should amend my comment a bit - I like well built reel mowers, not the Tru-cut/McClane/residential units.

I have worked on and sold multiple types of reel units for many years so I have a pretty good idea of machines and their respective market value.

The price you were quoted for a GV4, presumably a Kubota three cylinder diesel, is way way way too much. What kind of reels, blade count, are they quick detach, do verticutting units come with the machine, what do the rollers look like/what is their condition/manufacturer - and the questions continue.

At 4500 hours of operation, regardless of the maintenance program, any machine is close to the end of it's intended life cycle.

Call me and I can help you through the maze of used turf equipment buying.

Also check out the following companies.
    Bel-Air turf equipment re-manufacturers and/or contact Jim Mullins at Country Club Landscaping in Ohio as he has one of the largest (in terms of volume) used turf sites I am aware of.

I'd recommend you give me a call so I can more fully understand your working environment.

My cell is 830-305-0339.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Throw in some tickets to the Smithsonian??? :D
  8. MarcSmith

Hell I'd put you up in my house for a week and drive you to the smithsonian. BTw the smithsonian is free....but parking is a PITA

I bet I could get you into a couple college parties with some cute coeds...:)
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If my wife didn't kill me the coeds would. LOL :p
  10. MarcSmith

what a way to go.....though