1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lip on SRW Blocks Not Important?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I think this whole lip thing is something that might work in theory but isn't going to work in real life.

For one, you would never be able to keep the batter anywhere near the same without the lip, or pins for that matter.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

I kinda get the gravity thing for block buried 4 rows deep but what about the top row on a steep hill that water runs down...can gravity hold that block in place for long? i'm not an expert but i think will continue to use the lips just for piece of mind...informative post Jim :)

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Which I *believe* your thought sorta coincides with my thoughts. Like the picture I posted. It's a very short wall, you can see the movement that took place, and of course it lacks the proper ingredients (gravel, etc). But the wall is so short, what gravity is there to hold the block in place?

That's why block like cornerstone uses 3/4" aggregate placed in the cores. The aggregate doesn't break and it doesn't shear.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Matt - didn't you see the memo! Even though some of us have been building walls since 1997, we're not allowed to say "i think" "I think" "I think". Especially if you didn't maintain your NCMA certification!!! LOL
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. pavinpreacher

pavinpreacher LawnSite Member

Nice work bustin a hardscape myth Jim!

6. pavinpreacher

Well, it's been stated in this thread that the lip is there in order to maintain alignment/batter. It's also been falsely claimed that the lip is there to "help" hold the blocks in place.

From your post, it seems you agree that the lip helps with alignment/batter, but not in holding the blocks in place. Is that correct?

7. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Does nobody else agree that THAT many lips should not break off and might indicate a weak batch? or am I out of my mind?

Personally, I've never had that many break off, it doesn't seem normal.

That to me, would be my fear.

8. pavinpreacher

Unless I missed something, Jim stated that "the workers noticed a fairly high percentage of blocks where that lip was broken off by more than 50%."

How many blocks is that? What percentage of the blocks Jim was installing were effected?

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Lets look at it with another type of block, I'm sure some of you have used the Pisa 2 block or roman pisa as unilock calls it. These have a ridge in the middle of the block and are used to align the next block on top and they are also used imho to secure and prevent the blocks from falling forward (while placing and compacting the back fill). I would also suggest that once the blocks are set and have a load on them that the lips probably have no bearing on the structural integrity of the wall.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It was about 7% of the blocks that had the lip broken either partially or fully.