liqiud iron vs. granular iron???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by onemancrew, May 6, 2003.

1. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

I 've put two apps of liquid iron on my lawn ( ferromec 15-0-0). I can't tell the lawn is any darker. Have any of you heard that the ph being on the alkaline side decreasses the grenning effect??? If so , does the granular iron do the same?? Thank in advance.:confused:
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried Lesco 14-0-0 chelated iron....and when I test sprayed it on my property it turned it a weird dark brownish greasy look. Wasent attractive at I sprayed a smaller area and it did nothing. The grass I sprayed was a light green so I figured the iron would help but I saw no results.
  3. brentlent

brentlent LawnSite Member

Liquid is the way to go. Esp. if your PH is out of whack. The problem with granual and improper PH is the the nutrients get locked in the soil and don't transfer to the plant.

What rate did you use for the liquid iron? I use Lesco's micro mix (0-N) for color with no additional growth. I started at 5oz./ 1,000 sq. ft., but found it takes 9 oz the get the effect I want.

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using the granular iron with 1-0-0. Greens up beautifully. Takes longer to get results than with using liquid but I like the granular.
  5. onemancrew

from tn. #7

Do you still get the same green up effect if your ph is on the alkaline side???
  6. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Ph isnt a big problem in my area. But when its off we adjust it with lime in the fall. By the spring the lime has broken down and absorbed into the soil.
  7. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

If you have a severe ph problem, it doesn't matter what you use,
    you will still have to use more than normal to get the desired effect.

Ph of much over 8 could be pretty bad.

Corrective sulfur in spring and fall at about 5 to 6 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. will offer temporary results and may need to be repeated year after year.
  8. onemancrew

from tn. #7

No, I'm not worried about the ph. My lawn looks great , I just wanted the iron for the summer months when I'm not fertilizing.