1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Aeration

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by xtremelawn, Sep 4, 2011.

1. xtremelawn

xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA

Does anyone use liquid aerify? If so did it work well?

Thanks

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That question has been asked a lot lately... what do you expect it to do?

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Smallaxe, you actually asked a very profound question

what would the desired results be from a liquid aeration product???

I would think looser soil, but "how would you ever know"
    or do you want more air down there, again "how could you ever know"
    or do you want better rooting, again HCYEK

and the other question we always get asked "so...how long does it last?"

but I guess you have to answer the first question to answer the second one

4. Smallaxe

That is why the stuff sells so well...

I have a small area that has to be hand watered right next to the house so I put the water from the hose down as quickly as possible... It formed a lot of puddles, so I brought out dishsoap with laurate sufide, or whatever, and squirted it over the patch of grass...

first there were little puddles of foam, then a little less puddles, then no puddles...

So from dishsoap one can know... this wasn't a compaction problem as much as it was a hydrophobic surface problem caused by puddling...

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What is the steady state infiltration rate of the soil in that area? Without that information, at a minimum, your "experiment" is worthless.

6. Smallaxe

The state infiltration rate was probably never taken of the topsoil mix, sitting on top of rotten granite, sitting on top of the orginal blow sand that makes up the hill... Without the man-made upper layers, the soil wouldn't hold water for the 15 seconds of shining, no matter how much your poured onto it... :)

I wasn't really experimenting, just applying some soap to breakup surface tension a bit...

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

is there a standard measurement for this, like gallons per hour? and how would you measure it? just curious

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what is in the product? a surfactant?

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

cm/hr or in/hr ...... use an infiltrometer (various designs depending on required data resolution and what you want to measure). The measurement is a measure of a soils hydraulic conductivity .... either saturated (steady state) or unsaturated (much more complex issue).

10. Smallaxe

That formula, does not address surface tension, i.e. "Runoff" on a hydrophobic surface... or am I nmissing something???