1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Apps in the RAIN... WHY ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kipcom, Aug 20, 2006.

1. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Again,,,it was pouring down rain and a local applicator was applying liquid at a customer site. This is just wrong and I feel compelled to contact the customer and advise them they are being "Ripped Off" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHhhhhhhhh Stop the Madness people :dizzy:

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless he is applying an insecticide for grubs or sub-surface insects. If he is that is a dedicated lawn man!

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

do u know what he was applying? i apply some things in the rain they work better
    u shouldent talk till u know what is going on

4. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

It sounds like your not exactly sure what product was being applied. It also sounds like you feel entitled to take the liberty of creating discord between the applicator and the customer.

5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

it is best to apply beneficial nematodes when it is raining. i don't know about pouring, but a light rain. the technician must have had a hot date he had to get to. i usually listen to Bob and Tom and wait out the rain.

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Besides post emergent weed control and some fungicides it's probably always better to treat in the rain.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. The sooner that stuff gets watered in, the better it is.. It's hard to say, he possiibly (though unlikely) could have been spraying fert., too. Chances are, better than not, insecticide...probably something like Talstar or Sevin.

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i guess what it comes down to is........

is this your business or your hobby?

9. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

no doubt, unless its a torrential downpour i prefer to apply in the rain or under running sprinklers. that way i know for sure its watered in properly. any ferts, fungicides, most insecticides, any pre-m's, and some post-m's are best watered in. i do a pretty good job of educating my customers about what i do and why, so if its by chance me you saw.... go ahead and call them. not only will they not fire me, but they will tell their friends that you dont have a clue what yer doing. hahahahahahaha :drinkup:

10. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

i don't know all of the details except what has been posted by the board of pesticide- "a lawncare company was fined $7500 for failing to make adequate adjustments during a week of wet weather in may 2005" - not that applications can't be made in the rain, but we need to be aware of what the laws and labels require.