liquid cooled efi worth it ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtoddjr89, Mar 15, 2007.

1. jtoddjr89

jtoddjr89 LawnSite Member

Is a liquid cooled efi engine worth the extra money?

2. jtoddjr89

I am looking at a Scag Turf Tiger with 29 Kaw efi liquid cooled engine and wondering if it is worth the extra money or not. I am a solo operator and hope to keep my machine for quite some time. Any input from long time LCOs would be helpful. thanx.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it would be worth it. The fuel savings, plus at least 50% longer engine life and Kawasaki quality all make for a good package.

4. jtoddjr89

thank you for the input. dealer said $10,400 for the TT 61" not bad, but about $1500 more than air cooled.

5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, in general liquid cooled is always better ,
    1/engine is cooled evenly particulaly around cylinder heads and cylinder bore ,rings r looked after way better
    2/an engine that cools evenly lasts longer
    3/the potential 4 blown head gaskets ,oil leaks is greatly reduced
    4/ over heating an air cooled engine is easier than a liquid cooled
    5/ depending upon application cleaning a radiator bug screen is easier than removing inspection plates and then clean with compressed air .The first is generally a lot easier to do in the field .
    6/ engine oil lasts longer in a liquid cooled way less heat stress [u may change the oil early 4 other reasons dusty cond etc]

this is assuming u r comparing the same engine type and brand.

Be aware as with all engines there is good and bad quality of manufacture .

EG some makers use low quality steel and alloy and some times recycled steel/alloy .This combined with thin walled tubing [water galleries ] leads to short cooling system life span even with the correct coolant concentration .

Beaware the biggest killer of 98% of engines is over heating [obviously a liquid /c is more prone to this ]

Service is simple and really tests those who only half attempt maintenance .
    Check coolant every service [concentration ]
    pressure test system and cap every service
    flush every 2 years

The water cooled gaser that r based on convential engines r better typically as they can be rebuilt fully [kub gaser and i suspect the diahatsu gaser ]

Diesel is the obvious ultimate choice in mowers if u prefer liquid cooled ,and at the end of the day it depends on bank balance.

:waving: :waving:
    tomo

6. jtoddjr89

I also have a compact diesel tractor and I am very aware of maint. and checking my equipment regularly. As I stated I am a solo operater and if the equipment goes down I am am out of work.

7. jtoddjr89

thank you both for comments.

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think the new Kubota diesel Turf Tiger would rock your socks. If not than the Kawasaki DFI certainly will. I have a friend with the 27hp LC kaw and he LOVES it. Now imagine DFI on it and he would be ecstatic.